Painted Mountain Corn

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Thistle, if it turns out to be flint, then I'll soak it and run it through the blender too.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, don't think you need to worry about it being a flint. I grew a flint the same year as the PM and there was a HUGE difference in the hardness of the kernels.
You'll love the stalks too, several of them have burgundy streaks running through them, it's just a very handsome corn!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait! What were you making with the corn? cornbread? You can make it by soaking the whole kernel and putting it in the blender?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn is the inspiration for both of us, I think!

Just realize that you have already added much of the recipe's liquid ingredient by soaking the corn, So Lucky.

Cornbread is a fairly simple recipe. I used to make it in a top-of-stove oven on a wood burning range, years ago. Wish I'd known Seedcorn's method then . . . 'cept, I didn't have a blender back then ;).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wait! What were you making with the corn? cornbread? You can make it by soaking the whole kernel and putting it in the blender?

This is how I do it So lucky, first I soak 2 cups (ummmm...I think...) of the kernels overnight, drain and then put them in the blender with the eggs, oil,
milk (or sour cream if I have it ), oh and the honey too, then blend for ...quite awhile, till it looks like the corn is ground up pretty good. Then add to the dry ingredients and bake.
I know I always use more soaked corn than the recipe calls for in cornmeal.
Unlike Steve, I guess, i don't try to compensate the liquid that the corn has soaked up in the recipe.
Of course my recipe is one I got from my grandma and calls for whole wheat flour, so it's on the rustic side already.
I find that recipe to be infinitely (almost) tweakable. And it always comes out delicious.
I bake it in a cast iron skillet that I've preheated in the oven for that yummy crunchy crust.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, i have no idea why i have never baked my cornbread in a preheated cast iron skillet. BRILLIANT. Have to try this. Tomorrow. (sorry, no homegrown corn, have to be a box mix :p)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I don't have any homegrown corn this winter either! Or, enuf, anyway.

Homegrown cornbread, Rattlesnake bean with tomatoes soup and a too small slice of Buttercup pie. (And, where's the whipped cream? ;))

DSC00367.JPG

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistlebloom!! Shame on you for teasing us with HALF a recipe!! PLEASE give us a blow by blow description of how you make your corn bread! SOUR CREAM??? HONEY???? You just can't stop there! We want the whole thing. Puh-leeze?

NwMtGardener, cast iron is the way to go. Put a little oil in the skillet, get it good and hot, the batter should sizzle when you pour it in. It does make a lovely crunchy crust.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okaaay, okaaay! I'll type it up tonight. Today I actually have some real live money makin' gardening jobs to do! I'm just doing a quick checkup here before I go.

Latest posts