Painted Mountain Corn

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Does the crossing ruin the taste or texture of your sweet corn? I really want to have some of this flint corn, but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the sweet corn crop!
Sweet and flour/dent/flint corns have different levels of starchiness, so I think that it might ruin the texture. There are some varieties of flour corns out there that can be used as a sweet corn when young.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
1 or 2 kernels in 1 ear out of 10, at most.

I have just eaten around them. But, the varieties have never been closer than about 50 feet.

Steve
edited to try to make clear that it is the varieties at 50+ft apart, not the ears or kernels.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@buckabucka I use the Family Grain mill. It says trying to mill flint corn will damage the grinding burrs. So if you grow flint corn for meal, either get a serious heavy duty mill or use @thistlebloom's method of soaking the corn first, then blender. A hand grinder might work you to death unless you have some bodacious arm muscles. :lol:

Dent corns are a little softer than flint. And there are flour corns grown specifically for milling for meal. I am playing with different varieties to see what best suits my needs. I just wish I had more room! :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@buckabucka, we have an old Corona hand mill that my dad gave us when he had no more use for it, (flashback! dad sitting at his workbench in the garage grinding wheat....breathing hard and sweating buckets! Dad was a big guy too.)
You could try the hand mill, and it might not be a bad thing to have around, for whatever, but we gave it a go on wheat.
Once.
I'm going to look into an electric one, I would love to have fresh corn meal and flour. For now the blender method works well for cornbread.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh....hang on....I seem to be getting some kind of strange brain wave message in a foreign tongue...something something sub-lingual...famished great milk... huh?
Thistle, you will just have to contact Marshall for a translation of the native southern Big Foot language that Bay somehow attempted to speak when she heard in at the swap ( or was it at the swamp ) meet .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad spoke with a southeastern Oklahoma accent, I suppose.

It wasn't that he spent so much of his life there but his older brothers and his father grew up there. Dad's mother was from Texas . . !

He may have learned to fake a western accent in New Mexico where he did grow up. Still, and especially if you put him together with his family in one room, the accent of childhood came through.

Steve

Latest posts