Painted Mountain Corn

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, we posted at the same time Steve!
I have Steve to thank for getting me excited about Painted Mtn corn, and Seedcorn for telling us how to grind it in the blender.

I don't sieve my corn after grinding, I find that letting it run in the blender for a bit longer than I would ordinarily be inclined to reduces it to a fine blend.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies to my endless questions. The main reason I want to grow my own is to get non-GMO, and the whole kernel. I bought some yellow dent corn from Baker Creek (the description said it is great for cornmeal) to plant if I have room. I would be willing to buy corn from a local source, also, so that may be an option.
I went to Bigmart yesterday, and the price of fresh vegetables and fruit just floored me. And I fear it will get much worse. I really need to apply myself to the garden this year. (If I can avoid the round-up cloud from the adjoining field)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . . I don't sieve my corn after grinding, I find that letting it run in the blender for a bit longer than I would ordinarily be inclined to reduces it to a fine blend.

I only made Painted Mountain cornbread twice. You know me, flighty.

I was wondering if I have saved enough from 2013 to make some now. I have use for those pretty ears in the fall. Or, my customers do. It was not a good year in my garden "extension" for corn last year, anyway.

Sunflowers did fine :rolleyes:. The pumpkins did great. You see where that got me . . . Anyone new reading should do a search for my pumpkin tuna soup recipe. I know, I know! But, how you gonna learn new things? Especially, if you po'.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You all are making me wish I had space to grow corn. Baymule, that homegrown cornbread sounds delicious. If I'm ever in Texas or Idaho, I'm stopping by your houses for some of that cornbread!

Is the difference between homegrown and box, the same as homegrown tomatoes and store bought?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is the difference between homegrown and box, the same as homegrown tomatoes and store bought?

Mary

Store bought red baseballs------:tongue Home grown tomatoes....... :drool

store bought cornmeal........... :sick Home grown corn meal....... :love

@ninnymary .......... yeah, it's the same difference. :gig

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
More difference, because I'm talking about cornbread mix, which has lotsa undesirable food-like stuff, not just GMO corn.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I tried growing Floriani red flint corn (Fedco). It grew well, but I started it quite late and it never fully matured, although it was close. I put it in a new plot, a long ways away from my hoop house sweet corn. The raccoons ate all of the flint corn as it approached maturity.

After skimming through some information here, I'm wondering if I could plant both the flint corn and the sweet corn in the hoop house together, since they will likely pollinate at different times? The raccoons have never entered the hoop house (yet), so that may be my best bet for success with flint corn.

If my flint corn had been a success, I was going to buy a cheap hand-grinder like this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/16408725?...84447196&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=50534887356&veh=sem

Does anyone know if a cheap hand grinder actually works? Otherwise, I could try the soaking and blender method.

I don't have much seed left from last year, but would love to try again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was something of the problem with the Painted Mountain for me in 2013, Robin. The raccoons have preferences and put most of the pressure on the late planting of sweet corn. Gotta get it just as it ripens but it gets more difficult to stay ahead of them late. The bow hunter across the fence has proven himself totally useless in this regard!

I have had some brightly colored kernels in the sweet corn since I have started to grow PM. They are at a good distance from each other, also.

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does the crossing ruin the taste or texture of your sweet corn? I really want to have some of this flint corn, but I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the sweet corn crop!

Latest posts