Range Wars. . first blood

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
NH & ME are both 500'. i have a friend who's a hunter and i remember something a teacher once said during hunting season about a crazy guy that used to stop at her property when he would see a deer and shot from his truck near her house. could send chills up your spine knowing someone is that close to hitting you or yours.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Nyboy. I looked it up and found it is 100 yards from a building in my part of Wisconsin. That's a football field. Since our gully is not that far away (as the crow flies) any target shooting that they did was unlawful.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't think he could shoot a dog, drag it closer to his house, and laugh when the officers show up? My only recourse there would be he still thinks it is his land so the LGD body would be on my property.

Since he BELIEVES it is his land, I doubt even that would upset the officers or get him arrested. Nope, I'm not sure him shooting me would pass in Court since he really thinks I'm on his property.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, please be careful. I would agree with the officer and not go near those places until the lines are drawn. It isn't worth being shot to death and buried in some back piece of your property. :( Those people are crazy!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was wondering about possibly hiring someone else the neighbor doesn't have vendetta against to do the mowing down there. But then if the worst happened, I'd feel guilty and unconsolable. Of course I'd send no one down there without full disclosure and a lot smaller mowing area.

I hate to have the whole area I've been trying to get into grass for four years grow wild and weedy again in the kind of rainy weather we've been having. I also hate having others keep me from possession of my own property. It might be prudent, but it feels un-American to give up that much area to anyone else.

Guess I'll go with "Is this the hill I want to die on?" (I like that saying -- learned it here) and let the water, weeds and mosquitoes have that spot for a while. I sure am not happy about it, though.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you @smartred. I know you don't want to lose your work, but it isn't worth dying over. If I'm ever in South-est Central-est Wisconsin, I'll come help you pull weeds. (AFTER the fence is up.)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red do you have rifles ? Maybe do some target shooting, just to let neighbor know you are armed and can protect your family. Poster on BYC once had a neighbor who was a bully, he told her one day he was going to shoot out her windows. Her reply I will be return fire and not aiming at windows, he left her alone after that.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How long is it going to be until the surveryors do their job? Make it a point to be there w/ your camera when they are, take detailed pics of the placement the surveryors mark out, w/ notes about how far you were standing from the marker and something of standard size or known size in the pic for perspective and proving they moved the markers (if they do)