Range Wars. . first blood

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm thinking this neighbor is trying to goad you into doing something rash. i would think they have been smearing your names in the mud all this time but you have been very cool and reserved in not fighting back as vehemently as they seem to want you to do.

any way to put an open opinion in the local newspaper about being kept hostage from maintaining your property from crazy, threatening neighbors when even a judge has said it is your own land and they say they don't know their own borders?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How long is it going to be until the surveryors do their job? Make it a point to be there w/ your camera when they are, take detailed pics of the placement the surveryors mark out, w/ notes about how far you were standing from the marker and something of standard size or known size in the pic for perspective and proving they moved the markers (if they do)

I am worried enough to suggest deputies be there when the survey is done. This survey will be using global positioning satellite so forever more survey work here will be a matter of verifying the global position rather than getting out there with transom, tape, and century old survey markers.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of survey markers... we where able to find ours buried under a 100 years of dirt with a metal detector. Any chance that the lots had markers at one time?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, @Chickie'sMomaInNH. I'm a lover not a fighter. There is no way they could goad me into an altercation with them. Perhaps that's why they are going after our son.

We know they have said libelous things about us in the community. I have never said anything derogatory (that's all off now) because I really thought this was a simple case of misunderstanding that adults could have easily talked through. I even understood how the misunderstanding on their part could have happened. This new turn has me reconsidering past way of thinking, though.

In my Court "Interrogatories" and testimony, I was very clear that I considered this problem to be one of misunderstandings and never said anything bad about the neighbors. I know the Judge was impressed with that since they accused us of a myriad of illegal activities in our attempt to steal their land.

Carol, this was one 60 acre farm that was split exactly in half. We purchased our side shortly after the first neighbors bought theirs. There are century old markers defining the original farm, but not the division between the two smaller sections.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to say anything new here Red,... watch your back, never be alone, document any activity with a camera and video, with sound on, and keep a cell phone on you (if you get service where you are) so you can instantly call the sheriff if you feel threatened at all.

Nobody likes confrontation, and it's not worth getting hurt, but it is so aggravating to see you being bullied.

We have the beginning of a dispute over a section of ground that was mislabeled years ago when the plat maps were drawn up. The map says there's an easement down the back of 4 neighbors properties, the local highway district says not, the title companies say maybe and there are conflicting documents down at the courthouse. There is a guy that's not even in this private subdivided section that wants to use it to access his property. He's insistent and persistent.
Dh went out to speak to him the other evening and then just let the issue alone. He is more passive than I am. I was a few minutes behind him, and when I arrived and the guy was still waiting to access the locked gate (another neighbor erected it) I went up and told him until we have something from a judge he will be trespassing. He still hung around so I called the sheriff. Three cars responded.

Actually Red, you were my inspiration for action. I don't want to fight with people, but they can't take what isn't their's, and when they begin to bully I'll put the gloves on.
I hope my situation doesn't escalate, but I know this guy isn't just going to quit. He has a very big ulterior motive in using our property as access.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Be safe above all. :hugs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am learning that turning the other cheek is not the best course in some circumstances. All those years when the neighbors did something I didn't like, I took the position that being a good neighbor meant letting that one thing go. As my son said, I don't have anymore cheeks to turn with these neighbors.

Thistle, stick to your (figurative) guns with this persistent trespasser. You might want to see if you can get some support among others in the subdivision to codify the legalese around this error/easement/whatever as soon as possible. (With the gate, it sounds as if you already have other interested parties.)

I don't consider it fighting with people rather it is being assertive and stepping up for your rights.

Yes, thistle, you absolutely wanted to hijack my thread. I don't consider you very successful at it though, because I think your post is totally appropriate. I am glad that something good might come from my trials and encourage others to be aware of possible property issues.

'Sides, who wants to be the only one with a thread that didn't get off a bit? Certainly not me!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today the share cropper cut the alfalfa in the neighbors' field for bailing -- probably on Tuesday. He also cut down the alfalfa in the four feet section of field that the Judge awarded to us. Not his fault, of course, as the neighbor obviously didn't share the Judge's verdict with him. I was otherwise occupied and didn't walk out to the field (or risk offending the neighbor by being in that area) so I'm not interested in calling today's activity trespassing.

Question: Do I call this farmer and tell him to leave the cuttings on my land or risk a citation for trespassing? This man already stated in court that he has no agreement with us to plant or harvest our property. Therefore, he should not expect to take hay off it.

Latest posts