Range wars

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'll check CL for a peacock, but he'd have to be a pet. I couldn't eat one. That means a bigger space for the fowls than I had in mind. Probably best for both of us if I skip looking until I have designed the coop and sty.

Responsible husbandry trumps annoying the neighbors every time in my play book.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'll check CL for a peacock, but he'd have to be a pet. I couldn't eat one. That means a bigger space for the fowls than I had in mind. Probably best for both of us if I skip looking until I have designed the coop and sty.

Responsible husbandry trumps annoying the neighbors every time in my play book.
Good for You Smart Red.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You could train them. Just like raising homing pigeons. Blow a whistle or something they can hear, then feed them inside their enclosure and up they go for the night. Safe and sound. Start out with the noise and food in the enclosure so they make the connection. Then start making them go farther and farther for their food when they hear the whistle but they always get fed I died the enclosure. Next thing you know "toot toot" and they will come barreling down the yard to get fed. It's Pavlov 101 molding/shaping behavior.

Guineas are supposed to be good eats too.

If it was up to me the peacocks would be pets. Sell the feathers to crafters and let the grands enjoy Grandma's beautiful birds. A trio can't eat that much.

Both of these would have permanent structures close to their house as I could get them. Right next to the hogs.

Let them out go scratch up the leaves in the woods and help scratch up your compost pile.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We need to remember that any loud animal the neighbors hears, Smart Red will also. It may turn out to annoy both!

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
We need to remember that any loud animal the neighbors hears, Smart Red will also. It may turn out to annoy both!

Mary
Nope, not so much. They will be 100 yards or more away from my house and I don't need windows on my side of the coop. On the other hand, they would be within 45 feet of their back door with a fully open screened area to their side of the coop. The wind is usually out of the west or south west, ideal for their enjoyment and I'm on much higher ground. I doubt I'll be complaining about my birds in any case. Remember, for my comfort this is spring to fall housing for the birds. Winter care will be closer to my house where electricity is available.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you really want to annoy them, start breeding and hunting coon dogs! Nothing more annoying then a pack of coon dogs baying all night. :confused:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs baying all night would garner a noise citation. And again, I want to be a responsible animal caretaker with the purpose of raising food for my family.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wasn't sure how rural your location was. We are out of city limits here where I am and people raise a lot of hunting dogs around here (and frequently lose them in my backyard.) Not that you'd want to put up with that noise either. Just funny to think of "innocent" ways to torture your bad neighbors. ;)