Repair or Dump

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No one knows how or why, lawn mower which was stored in shed for winter end up outside. Not sure how much time it spent outside, but now will not start. My nephew swears he emptied it of gas before putting it away for winter. It has a rope you pull to start. Should I bring to a shop for repair or is there anything I can try at home.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a job for Spouse -- or used to be.

Come to think of it, I haven't tried starting my push mower yet this spring. It ended up partially outside when the garage/shelter blew down.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a job for Spouse -- or used to be.

Come to think of it, I haven't tried starting my push mower yet this spring. It ended up partially outside when the garage/shelter blew down.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
No one knows how or why, lawn mower which was stored in shed for winter end up outside. Not sure how much time it spent outside, but now will not start. My nephew swears he emptied it of gas before putting it away for winter. It has a rope you pull to start. Should I bring to a shop for repair or is there anything I can try at home.
The new gas requires a repairman to get the thing running in the spring. There is a gas additive but my husband ends up taking things to the rear shop. Often spends half a day playing around with it with no luck. He is half handy with such tools. Emptying the gas can cause other problems.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I ran my Cub Cadet out of gas this fall and it started very quickly after I put in fresh gas this spring. I'd expected to have to spray started fluid in the spark plug holes, but it wasn't needed. After talking to a couple of repairmen, I only use gas without 10% ethanol in it. It's a bit more expensive and I have to drive a bit further to find a station that carries it, but it should prolong the life of most small engines.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You might want to check the spark plug setting (or just replace it if older then 2 years) and spray (one short) shot of started fluid into the spark plug hole, quickly replace the plug, and try starting the mower. Often if the tank was run dry, you need a way to get gas to the motor. Started fluid seems to work for me.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I owned a business, I would sometimes go on a rant and tell my employees if they ever found that guy, "I didn't do it" or "It wasn't me" or "I don't know" tell him he's FIRED! This dire threat always made them laugh.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
#1. Will the engine turn over? If not, junk.
#2. When you turn the engine over, do you get a fire from spark plug? Try a new plug, if still no spark, probably junk.
#3. If you have spark, empty gas, refill with fresh gas, will,probably start unless it's a Tecumseh engine. If so-junk....... I hate Tecumseh engines. In fact, if Tecumseh, forget steps 1 & 2. Junk....

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck though i remember my dad for years used to have a couple machines with Tecumseh engines in them & he kept them running for about 20+ years. the tiller was replaced in the mid 90's with a Craftsman that he still has running nicely. the snow thrower i think he replaced probably 10 years ago with an Ariens which he said he's had more issues with it than he ever had with the old one.

my tiller, an Ariens front tine with a Subaru engine, has occasionally given me grief. but usually this is because something will get into the fuel line or block up the part of the engine going to the fuel line. i take a pipe cleaner or canned air & blow it out & it usually runs fine for me again. most times it is just water in the line that needs to be drained off if i didn't run it out of fuel for the season.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Air filter clean?

A spark plug is easy to replace with the correct socket. Probably, it is on the list to be done annually.

I had a cheap mower a few years ago. Actually, I still have a cheap mower. I have a tiny lawn! I also mow about 3 passes around the big veggie garden but jack the mower up high ... anyway, the mower was running rough.

Someone told me, forget who, that "small engine carburetor cleaner" is sometimes needed. It ran much better for about a season and a half. Then, self-destructed.

Steve

Latest posts