unrelenting cold and snow, Northeast

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
uh, oh. I've had to worry about this sort of thing only a couple of times. There is a roof rake in the garage that has seen very little use. Fortunately, this is a "proto-rancher" and not a bungalow, with their wide roofs.

Accidents happen everywhere, to everyone, and when you don't expect them. Here is Wishing You the Best of Luck @catjac1975 !

Steve
So Steve did you get damage? We did rake the roof but should have been doing it all along.So here is my question. We have only had one insurance claim many years ago after a hurricane. After the water infiltrates the roofs, do you have to open it up and change the sheetrock and insulation? And will the roof need repair? I am sure the insurance co will try to screw us as they have done to those poor hurricane Sandy victims. I fear they will say simple repairs and paint when we now could be set up for unseen mold problems.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No. After all these years, there was only one insurance claim at my home and that was for theft.

My deck roof leaked before the roofing was replaced but I didn't think that would amount to a claim. I so dislike my deck roof, I'd just as soon it was gone. The last two winters here have been the only time I haven't felt the need to add more bracing as winter snow piles up on that rather flat roof.

Elsewhere on the house, I haven't raked off snow but once in 5 years. It's never leaked.

We have less than 20" of precipitation annually. A 10" snowfall happens seldom. Having 24" on the ground at any one time isn't even common.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have never had ice dams. We usually get a quick melt. My daughter already has a friend with a lot of damage and a measly check from her insurance company. Our roof is about 8 years old and is a 50 year roof so it's not like it was a bad roof. We called and only have a $500 deductible. Whew! But it is more than just the roof, Inside ceilings and walls on 3 rooms. That's where they will probably try to cheat us. I think the page is done occurring as most of the ice has melted. There are such unscrupulous cheats out there but we know lots of trade people to point us in the right direction.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have less than 20" of precipitation annually. A 10" snowfall happens seldom. Having 24" on the ground at any one time isn't even common.

Steve

There must be a huge difference in our micro climates Steve.
Those hills between where we live....
We frequently get a foot at a time in a heavy snowstorm, and those two winters that set records ('08, '09?) found me facing a wall of snow when I opened the front door one morning. Easily 4 '.

It was not uncommon those two winters to put in a 6 hour day on the end of a snow shovel.
We have gotten off pretty easy this year.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have never had ice dams. We usually get a quick melt. My daughter already has a friend with a lot of damage and a measly check from her insurance company. Our roof is about 8 years old and is a 50 year roof so it's not like it was a bad roof. We called and only have a $500 deductible. Whew! But it is more than just the roof, Inside ceilings and walls on 3 rooms. That's where they will probably try to cheat us. I think the page is done occurring as most of the ice has melted. There are such unscrupulous cheats out there but we know lots of trade people to point us in the right direction.
cat, had pipe burst in ceiling, feel your pain. Get a dehumidifier and run it 24-7. Take a proactive stand to prevent further damage. In Texas whatever we spend to prevent more damage is 100% refundable. If sheetrock is wet, you might have to cut holes in each wall to allow dehumidifier to work.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
cat, had pipe burst in ceiling, feel your pain. Get a dehumidifier and run it 24-7. Take a proactive stand to prevent further damage. In Texas whatever we spend to prevent more damage is 100% refundable. If sheetrock is wet, you might have to cut holes in each wall to allow dehumidifier to work.
I am worried that all of the insulation will be moldy. What a mess to repair.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat stand your ground with insurance. Don't settle for less than what it takes to fix house. We got a good settlement, did sheetrock work ourselves and used extra money for more improvements.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Terrible thing ... sorry you have to deal with that @catjac1975 !

We get ice dams almost every year, low slope roof. The roofer doubled the height of the ice barrier underlayment and also did the valleys with the double layer. It's not a common problem for you so they likely won't recommend replacing the roof with that much life left... ?? But I would note the problem areas and ask about more ice barrier when you have it re-roofed.
Even with referrals, I double check the contractors, unless you have someone you know well.
Good luck, I hope it's not as bad as it may look!

Latest posts