unrelenting cold and snow, Northeast

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There must be a huge difference in our micro climates Steve.
Those hills between where we live....
We frequently get a foot at a time in a heavy snowstorm, and those two winters that set records ('08, '09?) found me facing a wall of snow when I opened the front door one morning. Easily 4 '.

It was not uncommon those two winters to put in a 6 hour day on the end of a snow shovel.
We have gotten off pretty easy this year.
Too easy. The Selkirks must be at 50% of normal.

You are in the snow belt, Thistle'. I will check with brother north of Sandpoint and see where he thinks the snowiest location is. He gets around more than I do. Or, did.

Steve :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too easy. The Selkirks must be at 50% of normal.

You are in the snow belt, Thistle'. I will check with brother north of Sandpoint and see where he thinks the snowiest location is. He gets around more than I do. Or, did.

Steve :)

I fear it's going to be a very dry summer. There has already been a forest fire in WA.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat I know it is to late for this season, but might want to get gutter heat wire. When I lived in Westport the house had a flat roof. Connecticut snow and flat roof big water problems. What helped some what is gutter heater, it is kind of like the heating wire you wrap pipes with so they don't freeze. We had to run though all gutters and downspouts. Its one of those things like buying a new snow blower, spend money and it willn't snow for 3 years.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , Brother talked about growing season rain encouraging brush growth - fire danger in the succeeding year ... can't win :\.

He referred to the "shady side" - Priest River and north as always the snowiest. I specifically mentioned communities so I don't think he was talking about Upper Priest River.

I'm not goin' up there. There are Grizzly Bear and Lynx and North American Tiger Lilies!

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My brother lives in Priest river. I don't think they may get more snow,but it is a lot wetter up there. His tree species on his property are much more diverse than mine, Lots of cedars too,

I think the fire season may be a scary one this year.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
After deep snows last week, subzero temps, power outages that lasted a week, we are almost at 70* today and sunny and supposed to get over 70 tomorrow. I'm out working in shorts and tshirt today, folks! :weeeThe birds are singing off territory like crazy and my chickens are scratching up the meadow and woods like beings possessed. The air smells like spring!!! :celebrate

Finally catching up on pruning the apple trees, though I know it's really late and the sap has already risen. Really scalped those trees this season~they had never been pruned so we had to chainsaw huge trunks out of the middle~ and can't wait to see how that pans out by next year.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
been in the upper 40's the past few days here. today in the lower 50's. still have lots of snow but much less than we had a couple weeks ago. now i'm just worried about the possible flooding on one side of the yard.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed when I had to take down a old apple tree a friend who hobbyist wood carver went crazy over the wood. Don't just throw in the burn pile.

I don't know any wood hobbyists, so not sure who to save for but we do have a wood stove that can use it next winter. ;) Now...if I knew of someone and they would PAY for me to haul it to town for them, I'd be on that in a heart beat! :D

Latest posts