Victorian remodel -- beauty or the beast?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, some of it is me and some of it my daughter's flair for design. She helps me out alot with the accessories. That room is the parlor and I purposely didn't want anything on the walls. The room is a medium gray with a darker gray over the mantel which is to the left of the picture. The area rug is a light gray. There are antique bookcases on both sides of the fireplace. Those my daughter helped me stage with books and accessories in white and torquoise. I have a hugh torquoise vase on the mantel along with a small bowl that has a peacock with it's torquoise feathers. To the right of my reading chair is a torquoise ceramic garden stool that you can't see where I place my book. The throw on the chair is also torquoise.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last picture, I've hijacked this thread enough. Living room which opens into the parlor. Both rooms have similar color scheme.
photo (47).JPG

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you Thistle, yes those ceilings are a pain to paint. We put in hardwood floors in the entry way, living room, parlour, and dining room soon after we bought the house many years ago.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very elegant Mary. Hijack all you want to---this IS about Victorian homes isn't it? And their paint, doors, colors and glass? :lol:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, my husband is the one that researched our home. I've forgotton all that he told me except that it's over 100 years old. :p For a city lot it is very unusual to have 6 neighbors. I have 2 on each side and 2 in the back. I guess it must be because our lot is long and narrow just like the house.

By the way, the ceilings are 12 ft high not the 14 that I mentioned before. So thistle, I guess you can't fly a kite in there. Ha

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No problem, Mary. This is not my thread, but one about changing beauty for the beast in housing. If we wait for only my input, this thread will be growing cobwebs at the rate DS is working right now.

Add what ever you please! I love the calm, serenity of you front room. Just loverly! Sorry I replied before seeing the second photo, but the picture is worth many, many more words.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can't wait to pull the sheet rock off the bay window area in my house. it got 'boarded' up probably 30 years ago from my inlaws deciding they'd rather have an ugly box wood stove in that spot instead of the sunlight. i'm hoping the windows are still intact so i don't have to replace the glass. but i plan will make some stained glass panels to go over the windows since i also don't want curtains behind my pretty looking wood stove.

the neighbors keep asking me if we'll be taking off the Masonite boards that cover the outside. i say i need to know what the inside looks like so i can fix it to show the world!

Latest posts