Victorian remodel -- beauty or the beast?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, more pictures!

But, I'm still trying to reason out how Mary has 6 sets of neighbors! That's okay. Don't explain. I know that urban environments have anomalies. Wonderful!

Well, the neighbors could be also. I seem to have love/hate relationships with my neighbors. One thing, Mary, you don't need to live in an apartment or have gardens on other people's property to have lots of neighbors!

... maybe some of them don't need all of their yard space.

Steve
whose home is probably like @Chickie'sMomaInNH 's in law's house.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't board up any stainglass windows, there were none of those. I did have most of the windows replaced.

I just live in a house built in 1901 that has seen better days.

My dream is of a newly built home that has a better "fit."

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
i can't wait to pull the sheet rock off the bay window area in my house. it got 'boarded' up probably 30 years ago from my inlaws deciding they'd rather have an ugly box wood stove in that spot instead of the sunlight. i'm hoping the windows are still intact so i don't have to replace the glass. but i plan will make some stained glass panels to go over the windows since i also don't want curtains behind my pretty looking wood stove.

the neighbors keep asking me if we'll be taking off the Masonite boards that cover the outside. i say i need to know what the inside looks like so i can fix it to show the world!

That will make such a big difference. If you don't have an ugly view to hide like I did, you may not need curtains or stain glass windows.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't board up any stainglass windows, there were none of those. I did have most of the windows replaced.

I just live in a house built in 1901 that has seen better days.

My dream is of a newly built home that has a better "fit."

Steve
We replaced all of our 19 windows with more efficient ones. The frames and strings needed to hold the windows open were in poor shape and needed to be replaced for safety purposes.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I asked yesterday. The front door windows are NOT original -- at least we doubt they made thermal windows back in 1824 -- but then there are other surprises here that we wouldn't have suspected, so?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Still blown away with the beauty of the stained glass Mary but thats gorgeous!!!!

We had an old farm house that we ended up getting foreclosed on (blessing in disguise when I was laid off from the city of Detroit) that was supposed to be a remodel that turned into a nightmare.

Those of you who do it I have a lot of respect for. I love the history and to "step back in time" but I don't know enough or make enough $ to make it a reality. I'll just enjoy everybody else's hard work.

I do have to say that TEG has a lot of very amazingly creative people too. Knitters, wine makers, a variety of artists, hot tubs into ponds to name a few ;) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, I'm lucky in that my husband is a handyman. He does alot of the work like remodeling my kitchen twice. But the big projects like putting in oak floors, windows, roof, outside paint job, and central heating we have to save up and have professionals do it. I much prefer to work overtime and pay someone to come in and do big jobs in a couple of days. Otherwise it would take us months.

Mary

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, the front trio of windows are painted and (hopefully) soon will have siding around them.
Painting the front windows.JPG

The porch steps are finally on and DS was out planing the trim needed to change those tiny 4''x4'' posts into decorative and colorful 8''x8'' columns.

Latest posts