Waited too long!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Twice? I hope more survive this time.

I got some good advise on how to dose them with Poultry Nutri-Drench from someone on BYC. DH is picking some up for me tonight and we will be ready for them in the morning. Hopefully too, with the temps being in the 70's this week, they will have burned less of their yolk reserves on the way here. I hope more will make it this time.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, if not enough survive from this second bunch, I will pick up some EEs at TSC. Next year I will do things differently. I'm toying with the idea of buying an incubator. The kids and I would really enjoy that. Or hope for a broody.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
My little Dutch bantam is a great broody and a good mama. She just can't cover very many eggs.
Boy, I could have supplied you with about 8 Black laced Red Wyandottes last year. That's all they did was go broody. Almost put me in the nut farm.

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My little Dutch bantam is a great broody and an good mama. She just can't cover very many eggs.
Boy, I could have supplied you with about 8 Black laced Red Wyandottes last year. That's all they did was go broody. Almost put me in the nut farm.

I was planning on keeping a rooster this time and am hoping for a broody out of the blue-laced red wyandottes. Now that I have them in the electric fencing, I won't have to worry about the roo going after the kids. :)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sure wish there was a TSC around here. I don't know of any feed or farm store around here that just brings chicks in to sell. All of them here must be pre-ordered.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aaaalll the feed stores around here have them. Chickens are getting to be such a big deal that I had to get in a long line last week when I volunteered to pick up some extra chicks for my neighbors.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have one other store to check.

Around here it is by order only -- five pullets of one variety and you can order a matching rooster -- no orders of less than five so a small flock ends up being all the same kind -- and one place offers only utilitarian varieties, Leghorn, RIR, and Cornish. Phooey!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Feed stores here carry chicks too. I got the weekly shipping schedule from our local feed store. Waiting on Red Stars!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to pick up the brochure with the schedule for TSC's chicks. I'll keep an eye out for EEs most likely.

Latest posts