What Are You Planting Today, This Week, This Month?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got my Baker Creek seed order today. I think I want to plant something. I am almost afraid to plant tomatoes yet. 8 weeks away is only May 3, and it could still be pretty chilly. I think I'll wait on them, but plant some lettuce. The free seed they sent me was Ruby Romaine ( I think) so I want to plant some of that. Also, I got onion seed, but I think it may be too late to plant it to get storage onions, so I will wait till next winter to plant them. Gonna go play in the dirt right now.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky, in general, onion seed has one of the shortest life (germination) expectations in the garden veggie world. If they won't make it to storage size, then plant for scallions and purchase new seed earlier next year.

Near perfect storage might give you a longer shelf life, but I seldom take the risk. However, in your zone, you might to just fine planting your onion seeds later in the season and over wintering them right in the garden.

shepard

Sprout
Reaction score
I am itching to plant something!! The weather here keeps going from beautiful and 70 one day to 30 and sleeting the next. :/ I love winter, but man I'm ready for garden time!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome Let me guess, your in NC sounds just like my weather.
I am itching to plant something!! The weather here keeps going from beautiful and 70 one day to 30 and sleeting the next. :/ I love winter, but man I'm ready for garden time!

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First flat of peppers are all poking through, so another flat is by the heater.
Cal. wonder, Marconi, Flavorburst, Super Chili, Bell Boy, Gypsy, Big Bertha, and many Jalapeno M.
I also started snapdragons (twinny appleblossom and bronze), some petunia ( a bit late), catnip, eucalyptus, eyeball plant, and 12 tomato seeds - thats about all the tomatoes I can start this early, if I have to hold them over past 3" pots. The rest will go in around the end of the month.

Time to trudge through the snow to get more pots, and haul the racks and lights in... :cool:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found the Brussels sprout seed so it could go with the cabbage, broccoli, parsley and celeriac in the greenhouse. Right now, it is sunny enough that they should get a good start out there.

The onion seedlings are beginning to stand upright in their trays!

Even with me in & out of the door a lot, there should be a lot of warmth under that South Wall. It will be a lot warmer than here in the South Window where the snapdragon seedlings have just now arrived. No sign of any tomatoes & additional peppers sprouting in the kitchen. Those boxes of seed and soil would probably be better off sitting on the one-half of my new greenhouse bench thru the day!

Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I added eighty tomatoes, a flat of alyssum, some dusty miller, mealy cup sage, whopper salvia, and germinating impatien seed on moist paper towels for 12 flats... all in my kitchen garden. :) So much more to go ... and it sure beats watching snow melt! :D

Latest posts