What did YOU do in your garden today :P

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well... We finally got the rest of the garden in! Pumpkins, spaghetti squash, watermelon, cucumber, corn, tomatoes, green beans, sweet peppers, and radish! We've harvested asparagus a couple times already this week, tho I'm not sure how much we should harvest being the 2nd year. I've still got to put down the straw between the beds and finish weeding and putting down mulch in the flower beds!

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:hide I did this yesterday, but was to tired to post. I put more pea seeds directly into the ground this time, and more onions. I planted my grape that has been sitting in a much to small pot, and has somehow made it through a drought without me bothering it much (as in I forgot about it:hide), being eaten down to nothing by goats, engulfed by a honeysuckle and sitting in full shade under a tree, and completely taken over by huge dandelions . I don't know how it is still alive. :idunno I had two a purple variety concord I think, and a green variety, I don't remember what it was called and I have no clue which one survived. :idunno But I got it in the ground in a nice sunny spot just in time for four days of rain.

I also just about finished a BIG project, (which is why I was to tired to post) that I will take pictures of and tell you about when I finish, (in about five days thanks to the rain, which is setting me back four days):plbb :weee

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
nachoqtpie, I did that to a Johnathan Apple tree about 3 years ago. I left it bc it suits the spot to have a tree there. THIS year it has some blossoms on it, so I'm gonna find out what the root stock is.
NEXT TIME, I'm gonna I want to straighten out a sapling, I'm going to gently put a brick next to the trunk and nudge it straight.
Straight is over-rated, IMHO!!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Planted 25 Quinault strawberries, a horseradish root. My family got some plants for me for my birthday the other day and I planted those, golden oregano, caraway thyme, creeping orange thyme, anise hyssop, curly parsley. I dug up and transplanted chives and several different kindred of mint. DH got the ground ready for 10 golden raspberries and I helped plant those.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
What did I do? Something I've been wanting to do since last 4th of July. I harvested my first batch o' asparagus of the year. Yum! I can hardly wait!
Asparagus-first of year.JPG

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Rabbits, you may want to dig up the horseradish. As I understand it, here in IL we grow more horseradish than any other state. Once it starts growing in a spot in your yard/garden, you can't get rid of it. I have heard that it does best in a pot, where you can control the roots.
Mid-American Gardener had a call about getting rid of it, and they said, "You pretty much CAN'T get rid of it." It grows like 15 ft roots.
It is far worse than mint, or wild violets. I have dug them out and gotten rid of them where I didn't want them.
Just FYI. The rest of the stuff you planted sounds great!! :clap

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My version of how to cook Asparagus:

Harvest as much as you can fast as you can.

Give the Asparagus warnings you might boil or steam it.

Insert in mouth, eat it.

Me like Asparagus! Haven't had fresh picked raw asparagus since I lived in montana where it grows along ditches n creeks...

Latest posts