What did YOU do in your garden today :P

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
On COFFEE break right now. I've been putting together the last section of antigopher cage for the last bed of my main garden.
It's been taking extra long because I ran out of the main roll of hardware cloth, (3rd roll of 100 foot by 3 foot), and I've been stitching together small end pieces. Finally got it put together and placed. Just a bit more stitching to do to attach it.
Then the plastic on the sides should not take long, and then putting the soil into it.
It'll be a close call if I have enough soil for it. If not, one 10 cubic foot load of forest compost should finish it.
After that will be planting bean seeds in it after making the holes and water relief slices in the top sheet of plastic over the soil.

Then I begin work on that back section! Where there now is no soil... So I'll have to get soil...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rabbits, you may want to dig up the horseradish. As I understand it, here in IL we grow more horseradish than any other state. Once it starts growing in a spot in your yard/garden, you can't get rid of it. I have heard that it does best in a pot, where you can control the roots.
Mid-American Gardener had a call about getting rid of it, and they said, "You pretty much CAN'T get rid of it." It grows like 15 ft roots.
It is far worse than mint, or wild violets. I have dug them out and gotten rid of them where I didn't want them.
Just FYI. The rest of the stuff you planted sounds great!! :clap

:thI will have to think about this. Thank you for the warning!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to dig the sod from the yard side of the veggie garden fencing. Figured it to be an ideal spot for growing peas and sunflowers. Sigh! I'll need to think about how to get the sod out a bit more as I can't cut close down along the fence. I might need to slice on both sides of the fence and remove the sod between the cuts. (Or look so helpless DH takes the shovel away from me and does all the work).

If it works, it will make mowing inside the garden easier anyway. Have to do something pretty soon or forget peas for this year as they should have been in the ground already. On the plus side, every pea variety (9 of them) that I tested has germinated. I had some of questionable age, but they seem just fine and ready to grow.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday, I planted a bunch of kale plants and 10 red cabbage plants. The blue potatoes are coming up, the peas are coming up, I have cut some asparagus twice, spinach is almost ready to cut, lettuce is up, garlic looks good, strawberries look good, and may cut rhubarb tomorrow for pie.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I did some shovel work today. I cut and placed 3 log posts deep. The bed I'm making has one side that will essentially also be a short one foot high retaining wall. I also got that bed "double dug", mixed the very bottom shovel deep with composty soil, then got most of the base layer, about 8 inches deep of what will be 14 inches in and mixed.

Tomorrow is eye doc, so watered the seedlings well, and will squirt them quick before I leave.

After that I'll get 3 more posts in straight across from the others to attach across for extra support. But the attachers don't go in until the antigopher cage is in ready to fill with compost 12 inches deep. First after the next 3 posts will be framing. One side will surely use 2 x 12 as retaining wall. Other side will use logs.

I actually think it may come together in a week or so, not 2 or 3.

Should be hot tomorrow. Hot for me is anything over 80. or even less than that anymore...

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got some more kale in the ground, DW and I planted the 2 types of leeks (Summer & Lancelot), and, we have been planting dahlias the last 2 days.

I can almost hear the sharp intake of breath every year when I mention the time that the dahlia roots go in the ground. First of all, yes, I do expect some more frosty mornings. I can't quite imagine that the ground will freeze.

The roots are in pretty good shape, just starting to grow. There is a corner of the basement room where they are stored that must be a little warmer than other parts of that room. Most, just had nice green buds but there were a few with what might better be called, shoots.

Cooler conditions would have slowed them down. However, it is 55° in that room right now. What is the soil temperature in the dahlia garden? I forgot to take a thermometer but I doubt if it's more than 5° off that room's temperature.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been working in the flower garden mostly this week, but also readying the other two raised beds. One I had to move over by about 8" because DH can't get the lawnmower in easily now that I got my landscaping rocks in place. Also did some cleanup in the big garden out back today. I have a huge pile of stuff to burn. We'll hopefully get that done this weekend. We've had a lot of rain the past couple of days, so the wildfire risk should be low now.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started digging the dead sod out from around the garden fence. DH came over to discourage my activity -- "It will take you all summer to go around the garden." Darn it, he didn't grab the shovel and do it for me, but he did mention that I had a 'tool' in the garden shed just for that job. Right! And he didn't hear me tell DH and DS that that mini-tiller didn't work either? Spouse did bring the mini-tiller up to the house with the promise he'd look at it Saturday.

See, I didn't nag. Didn't even mention the tiller. And yet, the smaller one is back on the priority list. It's the big tiller I really want to use, but either one would be okay.

Latest posts