Where Were You on This Date, 1972?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eugene Cernan, Ronald Evans, and Harrison Schmitt . .

. were on their way . .

. to the Moon . :) . . on Apollo 17 (final moon mission).

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
since the launch was at 12;33 am est and we lived in pst got to stay up and watch it and dad let me play hookie from school that thursday...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I knew I'd get that answer from somebody . . ;) Dew is probably younger than my oldest kid, too.

Major', that's a great memory! Lucky you :cool:.

Well, I don't quite know where I was. I thought I might have been in Arizona but it seems a little late in the year. Might have been Texas. I'd just got back and hadn't quite got up again.

Steve
Grappling with fate is like meeting an expert wrestler: to escape, you have to accept the fall when you are thrown. The only thing that counts is whether you get back up. ~
Deng Ming-Dao, Everyday Tao

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
To be honest I don't remember the specific day but I was in Camp Pelham Korea, about 2 weeks away from flying home and separating from active duty. The only news we got there was the Stars and Stripes, a military newspaper. One day was pretty much like another.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was a senior in High School.

I was in band, and there was a basketball tournament at our school to determine which school in town got to go to play at a bigger tournament up in Arcata the next week.

Our school won...barely! Us in the band REALLY REALLY wanted our team to win this spot because we would then get to go...and so would the PANTHERETTES and the CHEERLEADERS, and the SONGLEADERS. Yea. That's right. Our bus'd be mostly the finest babes at the whole school!

You betcha I stayed for the basketball varsity team's practice a few times that week. I was the one critiquing our team's pantented "diamond" down court run. It had to be quicker to start each time. See, in the prior 2 games against our cross town rival, they beat us, and we really needed to beat them this time! So it was planned to be SUPER WELL TIMED, Like the Dallas Cowboy's offensive set. By the beat. This was basketball, and there had to be something similar. And we got it. Coach Shea was entirely open to the plan. It was for a quicker set downcourt than the other team could possibly be ready for! Course, coach Shea wanted it faster, and I wanted it perfectly left right left, with huge fast runs to placement.

That allowed for forward passes when it was offense set, and required patience for the other team on defense set.

When we played them, even with their bigger players and deeper team, on the first 3 periods, we really had them. They caught on mid third period, but we held on to win.

That's what was going on right around Pearl Harbor day 1972. Oh, and Joan Acquistapace who was in the band on the other teams side, came over and befriended me! :) And we are still good friends!

Then yep, a week later we got to go to Arcata to the tournament there! It was such a big deal that some of the kids who were already graduated drove their vehicles up with band equipment. We stayed at band member's from the Arcata h.s.'s houses for 3 nights.

One morning we all went up to the mountains in the snow. I got mildly frostbitten fingertips, but still played in the band at the games.

:celebrate

amazing i recall all that...and many more details too! 41 years ago? Like it was last week to me!

Latest posts