Where Were You on This Date, 1972?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, in 1972, yes, there were microwaves.

But pretty much the rich kid down the block's family had one. In 1972 they were these big ole honkin things that kind of roared.

"Man, how's that thing work Richie?" "I think it's got nuclear enriched PLatinum or something in it that it runs electricity through. Mom sez we're supposed to be out of the kitchen when we use it."

On the other hand, color tv's were getting more popular, though our family did not get one until after all us were moved out, even Shannon. So that'd be like 1981 or so.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a vague memory of all of us sitting on my parent's bed watching it. I knew it was important and to be quiet - but I'm sure that I little idea what I was watching.
Now that I think about it.... I have no idea why the TV was in their room.. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad was always pretty strange about the teevee. If it broke . . . we'd go weeks without it. He never got one in the bedroom, even when he was laid up in there after surgery once. In fact, he very pointedly said, "Nah, don't need it." Kind of with a snarl.

Opposite case when the teevee was actually on and in the living room. Let's see . . . from 1955 or 56 onward, Dad has sat down in the living room and watched hours & hours of teevee, every night. Can you imagine? Hardly made much difference if it was a show he liked or not. Daytime, Dad had a tendency not to do that. Of course, he worked forever. Yeah, he was never able to quit his job in town even while having a farm.

Microwave showed up in my house in the 80's. And, thus began the effort to try to find some use for the dang things beyyooond heating a cup of water for tea :rolleyes:.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
'Seed', you are making me feel ooolld!

I'm not sure whether to talk about "I remember when" or something right on the other side of the fence this morning . . . . . . . how about a little of both ;).

The lady across the fence is about to become a grandmother for the 2nd time. I know that her mom is gone but her mother-in-law (well, once was her m-i-law) is the same age as I am. Yes, I could easily be a g' grandpa in my own family.

Anywaaay, I can remember when :rolleyes: Dad (who is still around, I hasten to say :/) was talking to some guy about Sputnik going up in Earth orbit. The guy says something like, "Well, it will all depend on our children." And, they both turned and looked at me!!!!

I was just a kid! I don't think I was even shaving! Yeah, a little shaver and they were expecting me to do something about the Soviets and the Space Race!

Steve
You had to do it, didn't ya? :lol:

Well, not living during the Cold War during this time I don't have such heavy expectations that I'm carrying around. :D

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very intelligent and mature for a sophomore!
Proud of you!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser just posted on another post that he's 16! He must be our youngest gardener here (that can actually post)! I am so ilmpressed!

Mary

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was 5 years from being born.

Seed I'm impressed with how well you carry yourself. Keep it up

Latest posts