12 Hours In ER With Dad

Sam BigDeer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Alex, (if I may address you so familiarly) you are doing the right thing, it seems to me...
If you don't do everything you possibly can 'with a smile' and 'without grumbling in his hearing,' it will haunt you the rest of your life...
Try not to 'fuss' with your Sister in Dad's presence/awareness...
Spoken/written with love, Sam...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was blessed with great grandparents, grandparents and parents. My great grandmother died when I was 21, she was 102. I was privileged to have my elders in my life. Now I am the old generation and I hope I can impart the love and wisdom that I received to the young generation.

I say this because part of the process was letting the elders be treated with dignity, respect, love and letting them be who they were.

Alex, you are correct in the treatment of your father. It might drive you batsh!t crazy, but you are all there with dignity, respect, love and allowing your father to be who he is.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
He told the nurse he was Jewish and had 7 sisters, He said in the Jewish religion thats good luck, so if she had dinner with him she be lucky. The nurse looked at me and said is that true ? I replied the man is wearing a crucifix around his neck No its not true

That's pretty good ~ but you blew his cover ~ course ~ why would he want to say he's Jewish ~ than on the other hand ~ I'll let you figure ~ you'r use to it ```

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as your dad is with it mentally he decides what is what. You are right to let him make his own decisions about how he going to do things. Speaking of your dad Did you ever get the bench in your shop to come clean.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
He told the nurse he was Jewish and had 7 sisters, He said in the Jewish religion thats good luck, so if she had dinner with him she be lucky. The nurse looked at me and said is that true ? I replied the man is wearing a crucifix around his neck No its not true
OMG>>>>Men always the same....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
ok, folks, while we're talking about our aging parents and their quirks...

last night learned a new one. Raisin Bran has too many raisins in there and so she's been throwing them away. says it is too much sugar. i told her i'd eat them. so this morning i pick some of the too many raisins out so she can have just enough and she says she's eating salad today... heeheehee. i love her to bits, but this sort of thing always cracks me up. i had a good laugh. the bowl of less raisin Raisin Bran is in a container for the next time she wants some. when we go out running errands this week we'll look for just bran cereal in bulk, perhaps she can mix that with the Raisin Bran bag and be happy... always something... still funny.

i'm having a steak tomorrow. there's a place over in Bay City we like, and a candy store (she won't say nothing about too much sugar there...) and another place where i can get some smoked sausage that they no longer deliver to our local grocers (how does a delivery guy get banned from a store? how do you manage that?)...