12 Hours In ER With Dad

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The things we do for family lol, especially your dad. Your a good son to drop everything and help him when he needs it. I hope you can get caught up on your sleep quickly and get back to normal.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hugs to you, Nyboy. Cranky old men are a real pain, but when that old man is your dad whom you love and have so many connections with, it is heartbreaking.
Just hang in there and try to be what he needs right now.
After he's gone, you'll be able to say you did what you could, and treated him with love. I know he is being particularly difficult, but it is worth it.
Yesterday was the 7th anniversary of my own dad's passing, so your story touched me with an even greater significance.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can say I know about the hard chair and the waiting, but I did not have to fight with DH. He always did what the doctors said. I know you must be very worried about him, but like all the others above said, you are doing all you can. Get rest.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I so love your Dad!!!! I know he's giving you headaches but he sure is a wonderful story. I admire his grumpy independence and I admire that he's going out of this world in his own way. That we should all be so lucky.

He's living his life down to the nub...let him. Too, too many have been put in nursing homes long before their time and have been left there to mold and finally die. That's no life. It's not how long we live, but HOW we live that matters.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel a lot better after sleeping. Annette my fathers feels the same way, he was born in his bedroom and wants to die there. My grandmother had 13 children only 1 was born in hospital. His mind is still sharp his body is breaking down, I have to respect his wishes my sister believes other wise and is giving me **** for not having him admitted. The bleeding is rectal he claims he couldn't go to the bathroom and drank a gallon of prune juice which started all the bleeding. Lucky I am so sorry I miss my mom :hugs. I never thought of the life alert I know if I ask he say no I just might order one. He did end up taking the medication the dr gave him, he told me last night its helping :he:he:he. My friend Carol stopping by at lunch the only chance of him letting a nurse in house is if she pretty and Italian. One of the big problems is my sister and me not agreeing how to handle this. My sister thinks he should be forced to do things. On way to ER my sister txed me choose your battles with him. I tx back I am not going to fight with him it his decision

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it sounds to me it might have been just some anal fissures from the shock of all that prune juice at once, or perhaps some small ruptures from straining. So as scary as it was for him, he probably wasn't dying. (I'm not a doctor, I just play one on gardening forums)
You may have to buy a jug of Miralax and leave it at his house.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
sLo_comfort.gif
It's really hard sometimes to deal with them. My Dad is the same way.
Ya want to do what's best for them.. ya want to honor them and take care of them... and they fight tooth and nail, hide things from you - or tell you what's going on and then refuse ANY sort of help/treatment/comfort....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My dad called me at work yesterday he needed to go to ER. My dad's biggest fear is being admitted to hospital so I knew he had to be bad. He said he was heavily bleeding for 3 days his heart was racing, was weak and dizzy. At ER he had blood taken and a EKG he would not let them do a rectal exam. Dr wanted to admit he refused. They hooked him up to IV He claimed to immediately feel better and started flirting with the nurses. 12 long hours I sat in a uncomfortable metal chair next to his bed pounding head ache. Dr wanted to call in prescription he said dont bother he will not take. I asked him what should I do with discharge papers he said throw away. I brought my dad home and offered to sleep over he told me NO. Yesterday he was on death door this morning he drove to centenary to put palm cross on my mothers grave. He is pestering my sister all day about what restaurant we having Easter at. I ditched 2 very important clients yesterday had to come in crack of dawn to make right with them. I can not think and feel drained. My friend Carol owns a home nursing company, he will not allow anyone but my sisters and me in house. I just needed to rant been a long weekend
He has the right to have his life be as he wants. Think about what you would want near the end. Be at home and just fall asleep In a chair?

Latest posts