1st harvest of 2016...

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Major, I'm below the 35th parallel also, Greenville SC, and this fall was the first time I attempted a fall garden. Nice harvest of broccoli and bok choi. Kale, onions and spinach over wintered nicely and so did Brussels and a long season cabbage. I expect a very early spring cabbage harvest and Brussels for the first time ever, DW loves them, and maybe I'll like the home grown version. Planted colored carrots and a round one yesterday for the first time, we don't eat a lot of them, but maybe the grandkids will. The great thing about fall and winter is no bugs!

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope to do the same this coming fall/winter. Major has inspired me with his lovely winter crops and I can't wait to see if I can manage the same here in WV.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
like i have said before a little plastic can extend you growing season a couple months or longer. planting cold tolerant varieties early enough is the key..

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
like i have said before a little plastic can extend you growing season a couple months or longer. planting cold tolerant varieties early enough is the key..

Major, have you ever used floating cloth row covers? If so, did you find them less, more or equivalently effective to plastic?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, have you ever used floating cloth row covers? If so, did you find them less, more or equivalently effective to plastic?
have never used floating row cover before...but thinking about purchased a small roll this summer and see if i can grow lettuce in august....

Latest posts