1st Time Raising Baby Chicks

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You and your nephew should be able to build a house/pen fairly cheaply over a weekend. You can buy a package building at Lowe’s, Menards, etc and modify as well.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was more worried about fighting have to look into collars never heard of them.
With 2 there is a bit of fighting. Only when the numbers go up is there a real problem. Different breeds are more aggressive. I find the heavy birds are less aggressive and the more slender ones to be the worst. I don't know if the collars work well. I thought you were worried about the crowing. I can get rid of my extra roosters when I hatch too many. Of course the people are going to eat them. We used to raise meat birds but the cost of slaughter got too high. And I draw the line at slaughtering my own.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My plan is 2 different breeds for different reasons. i want a flock of silver lace bantams, these will have a job to do. Eating ticks and other bugs. I know to do this they must free range which means predictor loss. I am hoping they can raise enough chicks to fill in for numbers lost to predictors. The 2nd chicken is the ayam ceman they will be pets. because they are rare will not be allowed to free ranger.

Latest posts