2012 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - weigh in by 15 October

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome everyone! I'm glad there's some interest this year, it was fun last year... and it was great to laugh at all the mishaps that occurred, too. I think it was bearman that made compost with his vines :)

I don't have a lot of room this year for the pumpkins... last year I planted almost my entire garden of pumpkins (Hi my name is SCG and I have an addiction to cucurbits) and I vowed to be better this year. I think mine are also going to go in my corn patch.

I'll be fertilizing with duck and chicken droppings.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
Thanks for joining! What type are you growing?
We usually grow 5 or 6 types, most likely it will be:
Big Max
Atlantic Giant
Jarrahdale
Sugar Pie
Connecticut Field
Musque d'Provence
:)

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have no idea what mine are... they're in a small manila envelope that's marked "pumpkin." I was assured that they were good for eating tho... so I may not get a large pumpkin... but my 13 year old will be the happiest kid on Earth! :lol:

nittygrittydirtdigger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Count me in. We got some of those giant pumpking seeds for the kids to try out, and we're going to save a couple for ourselves.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
SuperChemicalGirl,
I'm in. I'll have to get some of those giant pumpkin seeds. IF I solve my squash bug problem this year, I should have some nice looking pumpkins, like I did 4 years ago. Don't mind if somebody else wins. I'll be fun, anyway!!! :D
I'll get back to you later about what I decide to grow.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I went online to buy some giant pumpkin seeds They wanted $25 for one seed OMG. I started wondering; just how giant are these seeds LOL. Think I will just buy a packet of atlantic giant seeds and hope for the best. Last time I tried to grow big pumpkins, My grandmother gave me 4 giant pumpkin seeds she got at the fair. I planted the seeds and a chipmunk dug them up and ate them the same day. So I dont think $25 dollar seeds would be a wise choice.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Collector said:
thistlebloom said:
So do you have a really giant chipmunk running around now?
Lol, no the standard size ones can create plenty of havoc. Hate to see what a giant one could do.
I think we have a mouse, because it sounded like there was a giant sized chipmunk munching on something in my wall last night...

Latest posts