2012 TEG Giant Pumpkin Contest - weigh in by 15 October

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
UGH!!
I know I live in the country... and I KNOW mice are just part of that... but I can't STAND having mice in my house. I am ashamed to say that I did put down poison boxes to get rid of them. I haven't had any mice in a while, so it must be working

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
UGH!!
I know I live in the country... and I KNOW mice are just part of that... but I can't STAND having mice in my house. I am ashamed to say that I did put down poison boxes to get rid of them. I haven't had any mice in a while, so it must be working
DH gets all insane about it. He puts tracking powder in the attic and the garage attic, sticky traps in the corners of every room, and snap traps under the cabinets. AND, he'll probably try to get me to let the dog sleep in the house for a few nights (she REEKS of fresh thawed cow manure right now)...

ShortCircuitRanch2332

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey SuperChemicalGirl, so glad you decided to start another contest I joined last year but LOST! all my pumpkins to pests
Hopefully I can do better this year! I'm growing dills Atlantic giant, Calabaza first prize hybrid, jack be little's and jack o lanterns :watering

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
DH gets all insane about it. He puts tracking powder in the attic and the garage attic, sticky traps in the corners of every room, and snap traps under the cabinets. AND, he'll probably try to get me to let the dog sleep in the house for a few nights (she REEKS of fresh thawed cow manure right now)...
Our dogs are house dogs... but 2 of them are retired racing Greyhounds... so getting them to "hunt mice" just isn't going to happen... LOL Our other dog is an American Eskimo. She keeps an eye out but she's usually not as quick as the mice! ;-)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Check post #1, I think I've got everyone added who said they were joining.

As far as the expensive seeds go, I did buy a few of the 10$/each seeds for myself and some for the winner of last years contest (I think it was WifeZilla?). I figure they're worth it for me - I've wanted a GIANT pumpkin badly for years now and I sow everything inside due to the short season, transplant when they're decent sized. I have lost a lot of plants to groundhogs and bug pests, and human stupidity and I'll probably cry this year if I lose them, but... I WANT THAT PUMPKIN!

I don't know what I'd do if I actually grew a pumpkin that was huge... it would probably have to rot on my lawn.

And in case you were unsure about my level of sanity, I also bought some of these:
http://www.burpee.com/fruit-plants/...-cross-183-prod000554.html?_requestid=2204963

(with a history of not being able to grow ANY melons well up here, I've decided to go big with my disappointment)

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I do... I'm still not used to living up here (I'm from Maryland) and I won't give up on melons. I get better every year, I actually had an almost basketball sized watermelon last year, although it wasn't ripe.

This year I'm getting boyfriend to build hoop houses.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
SuperChemicalGirl said:
I do... I'm still not used to living up here (I'm from Maryland) and I won't give up on melons. I get better every year, I actually had an almost basketball sized watermelon last year, although it wasn't ripe.

This year I'm getting boyfriend to build hoop houses.
Pulling out all the stops are ya! I wish you luck then!!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've been finding the last couple of years i have much better luck throwing away old seed into my compost/chicken manure and they just volunteer to grow on their own! :lol: 2 years ago i had tons of the Jack be Little and the mini white growing all over the place in one pile and i ended up with about 5-6 dozen when everyone else in our area had so much trouble with their pumpkins. last year i don't quite know how the sugar pie types got into my burn pile/compost area but i had 4 pumpkins come from those and they're still in my house and holding their shape still! i've decided that using the aging manure pile is the only way to get the pumpkins to grow fat and happy each year here in NH without trying to mess with them.

btw, is there any contests for getting the most pumpkins to grow successfully on one vine? :p

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i've been finding the last couple of years i have much better luck throwing away old seed into my compost/chicken manure and they just volunteer to grow on their own! :lol: 2 years ago i had tons of the Jack be Little and the mini white growing all over the place in one pile and i ended up with about 5-6 dozen when everyone else in our area had so much trouble with their pumpkins. last year i don't quite know how the sugar pie types got into my burn pile/compost area but i had 4 pumpkins come from those and they're still in my house and holding their shape still! i've decided that using the aging manure pile is the only way to get the pumpkins to grow fat and happy each year here in NH without trying to mess with them.

btw, is there any contests for getting the most pumpkins to grow successfully on one vine? :p
You're welcome to sponsor one ;)

However, to get a BIG pumpkin, most of us will be trimming all except one off the vine!

Latest posts