2015 journal of the gardens

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
How large of a family are you feeding? Or do you attend farm markets? That is a lot of eggplants.
dw makes a ton of eggplant ragu and freezes it..
the gardens feeds our family canned, fried, frozen, fresh and the rest i give away and only ask for donations.. gardening is my mental therapy after work and keeps me off the streets on the weekend...aka my enjoyment.

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we just had a summer thunderstorm roll through droped 1/2" 10 minutes thank goodness it come from the south no damage to the garden except for a couple corns stalks
DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

a miracle the corn was not flattened
DSC_0016.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, are your stakes those plastic ones that you can get at Home Depot?

Mary
Yes they have a metal core inside them.
you can go to amazon, search "sturdy stakes" buy them in bundles of 20. best time to buy is during the winter vendors cut the price on them...

Last edited:

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The last work that went into the autonomous garden was in the middle of spring when the last plant start hit the ground. Lately it's harvest and enjoy as I save the work for the worms, mycilium (in this case edible wine cap mushrooms), predators and pollinators.

20150706_133649.jpg

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
What a perfect site for a kitchen garden! I wish there was a place close to my house suitable for a garden like that. Alas, all shade.

I don't get any full sun. I do get almost full sun in the very front but I have two houses that shade me out on either side, mine and the neighbors. There is a lot you can do with part and dappled sunlight. :D

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
halleluiah the cucumbers are finally slowing down, picked 7 watermelons today but lost 3 on a happier note did find 10 small ones.......

took 5 melons into work today sliced them up and when around to every person and give them a slice, out of 35 employees not a soul has ever seen or heard of a yellow watermelon couple of them turned their nose up at the offer...people are funny about colors of food...their loss.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
halleluiah the cucumbers are finally slowing down, picked 7 watermelons today but lost 3 on a happier note did find 10 small ones.......

took 5 melons into work today sliced them up and when around to every person and give them a slice, out of 35 employees not a soul has ever seen or heard of a yellow watermelon couple of them turned their nose up at the offer...people are funny about colors of food...their loss.
Yes, their loss. Remember the brief attempt at green and purple ketchup? Tasted identical, but looked like a science experiment gone bad.
"Their loss" is how I feel about those who won't try black tomatoes because of their look. That Black Sea Man tomato is a winner in my book!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Color of food - yes, DW is that way.

I guess I understand not liking red beet juice all over the plate but she would no more than try yellow beets.

Watermelon must be red ..! She also tried a yellow watermelon once. It was not from our garden. She couldn't explain what was wrong with it.

Steve