2015 journal of the gardens

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you use for fertilizer? I have never been able to grow spinach like that. Amazing garden.

This spring mixed in 2 bags of black kow and then mixed in some 13-13-13, as for the seed been using "tyee" from Johnny's you can pick small or large leafs .
Last winter left it out in the open this winter going to cover it and hopefully recieve a even a longer harvest.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
6/27/15
pulled the zucchini tilled up the soil and finally planted our 32 brussel sprouts poor little buggers were so root bound.
DSC_0024.JPG

the first round of corn
DSC_0023.JPG

we found today in the basil and carrots a couple black swallowtail caterpillars. moved them over to a safer area...
DSC_0026.JPG

dw invited one of her bus mates over today, she wanted to see our gardens after talking for a couple hour on who,how,why she complimented us on the gardens and she wants to start her own next year, of course she went home with bags of fresh goodies..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
our son come home today and wanted green fried tomatoes for dinner, so went out to the garden found one heck of a surprize....
DSC_0028.JPG

life is good below the 36th parallel line .. :drool

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
our son come home today and wanted green fried tomatoes for dinner, so went out to the garden found one heck of a surprize....
View attachment 8039
life is good below the 36th parallel line .. :drool
Dang southerners....... Always bragging up their tomatoes while we went under about 6' of water. Ponds everywhere.

They are nice looking.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
there you go profiling all of people below the 35th line as southerners . north carolina we are deep southern mid atlantic.. -4"of rain to date.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right, major. You are in the North. I am in the south-est part of Wisconsin. No way profiling will work for the wide variety of gardeners on this site.

So you are behind in rain for this date? I thought only the far West coast was in need of rain.
there you go profiling all of people below the 35th line as southerners . north carolina we are deep southern mid atlantic.. -4"of rain to date.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Right, major. You are in the North. I am in the south-est part of Wisconsin. No way profiling will work for the wide variety of gardeners on this site.

So you are behind in rain for this date? I thought only the far West coast was in need of rain.
red the west coast is in a major 4 year drought we are only 4", i feel sorry for everyone out there.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess we have now joined California's drought. This month there was 6/100" of rain on June 1st. That's it.

Right at this moment, the official thermometer reads 102°, that will be a new record for the entire month of June, records way back in the 19th century. This new record will stand for about 24 hours. Tomorrow's high is predicted to be 107°!

On a more positive note, the aquifer may be okay. Much of the water below ground is from Montana where winter snow conditions were, at least, closer to normal. I had my first ever ripe June tomato this week and I bet there is another one in the backyard :).

Steve
@ 48° North latitude

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
went into work this morning welded up one side of a shot blaster, have to order more parts to do the otherside and replace both sides of blades, finally got home pulled weeds tilled up the old pea beds and re installed the pole bean trellis and planted more. with the heat wave that we have had, the barn gets very hot had a 1/4 bag of 17-17-17 that was starting to sweat so hoed that into the brussel sprout bed.

Latest posts