2015 journal of the gardens

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
update 8/9/15
the cantaloupe are growing like weeds.
DSC_0001.JPG

tomatoes are just keep going very proud of them.
DSC_0004.JPG

the peppers
DSC_0002.JPG

for the blue lake pole beans not a single flower on them...whats up with that?
DSC_0003.JPG

and the strangest 4 empty beds.... am i slipping ?
DSC_0022.JPG

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sure those 4 empty beds will be loaded up with your fall crops soon...you're just teasing us aren't you?
who me tease :hu................never :plbb
if the temperatures get out of the 90's which it looks like starting next weekend yes will start planting again and again and again......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
A blank canvas...I'm sure you'll find all kinds of things to put in there for fall.

It may be that your beans are still just a little too young and will pop out with blooms any time now. Or it could be just too hot for them to set blooms right now. Or it could be that they have more nitrogen than they need, causing them to focus on producing foliage instead. I imagine that all of that rain you had the other day would have washed out some of the nitrogen. That might help.

Those tomatoes are unbelievable, Major. I don't think I've ever seen a more productive tomato plant. I usually prefer heirlooms for their flavor, but I am going to have to try those out. I need something that really puts out all at once for canning tomato sauce and such.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 never thought about the heat, as for nitrogen is one thing that soil is lacking for being turned for the first time...

for the first year trying this one really love this type of plum tomato, very thick wall, very little snot. great for salads, sandwiches and of course canning. wait and great for green fried tomatoes...
if you like will split a pack with you next year?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be awesome, thanks! I'm sure I will have something cool to trade you, beans, corn or something.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm still in awe of the pepper plants. I can't ever get them 1/2 that size our seasons too short with too many cool nights. Ground temps dip & the peppers reflect that.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
8/10/15
another harvest going to work..
background left to right....sweet banana peppers, highlander peppers
foreground left to right.... tomatoes, bangkok hot peppers, more tomatoes
DSC_0027.JPG

and there will be another 10 gallons of tomatoes ready this thursday...... will dig through the highlanders and pick out the 10 largest ones..
I WILL GET MY CHILI RELLENOS THIS WEEKEND FOR DINNER...........

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
will dig through the highlanders and pick out the 10 largest ones..
I WILL GET MY CHILI RELLENOS THIS WEEKEND FOR DINNER...........

Had to Google that to see what it was. Oh my, those sound good! Comfort food, indeed. What do you stuff yours with?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Major, last year I planted poblanos to use for chili rellenos. Needless to say I never made them. Those poblanos didn't produce very much and were too small for stuffing. Chopped them and used them in my eggs instead. :( It's really hard to find a good chili relleno. I'm very particular.

Mary

Latest posts