2015 journal of the gardens

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
:epAlmost 7 inches!?! I guess that would be called a "MAJOR RAIN STORM". You may need to watch out for a major catfish invasion in the back yard. Must have had streams and waterways overflow somewhere near by.:hide

While I wouldn't wish that kind of rainstorm on my worst enemy (my neighbor would enjoy it), I sure am glad it was "you not me" that has the clean-up. I am also happy that you will be closer to home for a while. No way would I want your DW to think she needed to make things right with you gone.

We have never had anything quite like that around here and Good Lord willing, we never will. We do live on high ground so a storm like that would be more likely to wash the neighbors' yard into our gully than wash us on down the road.

All teasing aside, :hugs I am sorry you and your DW have to go through the damage, the mess, and the clean up.

we are the lower property within a 8 acre area so we get everyone's run off, the road coming down here needs to be graded all the water that collects on it comes right onto our driveway. have rebuilt it a couple times going to raise it 6" were it splits that way it goes around it...
in 16 years this was the worst rain storm that we have dealt with, thing is we have have not had no measurable rain in weeks so all that water just ran off.
so tomorrow will drop the mower deck and put on the box blade and do the best i can do and then figure out how many tons we will need...

we walked around had a good laugh over the rain<heck thats all you can do anyway>....
the new queen watermelons 2nds have already started to split so we are going to pick the larger ones and be done with them.
the 2nd round of corn is overdue to be picked... so tomorrow morning after coffee we are going to pick them and what little yellow beans are out there which will give us the beds we need for an late summer harvest. then plant for a late fall/winter harvest..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep Wow, glad most of your garden appears to still be standing. I'm sure it will ultimately appreciate the deep watering this time of year. We've had a lot of trouble with washouts on my dad's gravel road on the farm and I've been researching what to do to permanently fix the problem. Dad scooping up the gravel with the front-loader and putting it back each time is futile. Appears we need some careful grading done and a new culvert put in. Never used to be a problem until the excessive rains we've had for about the past 4 years now. In the pics, your driveway appears to be mostly flat too. That is crazy.
the only a couple things felt the blunt of the storm, a highlander pepper, cherry tomato fell over and the upper branches of the sweet seedless tomato snapped, ho well fried green tomatoes this weekend...
the driveway does have a slope to it near the top of it hence the problem we have....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we have pepper flakes...
picked the bangkoks and started to dry them last saturday,
DSC_0006.JPG

this is what we ended up with after the 4 trays dried almost a quart.... enough to keep the cheeks warm for a good winter.....
DSC_0010.JPG

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Major, if we got .7" of rain I would be building myself a raft! We are dry folks on this side of the Rockies. Okay, except for those further West.... :confused:

Anyway, sorry for the extra work you'll be looking at, but glad that most of your garden is still vertical. Are the carrots alright?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of carrots. . . . .
carrots.JPG

I pulled a few of these -- yellow, orange, and white -- today growing next to the fingerling spuds. I identified a few Atomic carrots from the red stem, but figured these were enough for now. A good year for carrots!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow Major, if we got .7" of rain I would be building myself a raft! We are dry folks on this side of the Rockies. Okay, except for those further West.... :confused:

Anyway, sorry for the extra work you'll be looking at, but glad that most of your garden is still vertical. Are the carrots alright?

thank you for asking yes the carrots took the storm like a trooper, but with all that will need to pick them or their going to split...figure picking them sunday and take them to work....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
8/8/15
well not a bad early morning picking
DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

will do the peppers either late today or sometime tomorrow...

Latest posts