2015 journal of the gardens

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice!

I won't ask you just yet about the basil, Major' .. ;)

. but, what can you tell us about the oregano that would warrant having so much of it?

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very nice!

I won't ask you just yet about the basil, Major' .. ;)

. but, what can you tell us about the oregano that would warrant having so much of it?

Steve

well it's all of your faults for getting me hooked on raised beds... back in the 2013 season built 5 beds had a nice 4x3 bed that was perfect for herbs...
planted thyme, oregano, basil in it. 5/19/13.
now dont hold me to it but i believe that we purchased the thyme and oregano from the farmers market, but started the basil from seed..
DSC_0027.JPG

the following year the oregano took over the bed and had to use lopping shears to harvest it,right after harvesting had to transplant the thyme into the new raised bed expansion. and that was the second harvesting of it.
5/17/14
note you can see basil in the foreground which was transplanted to another bed and the orange thyme in the middle foreground...
DSC_0008.JPG

this is what it looked like on 3/8/15 after a winter haircut..
DSC_0022 (2).JPG

and here we are as of today... ready for a spring harvest......
DSC_0007.JPG

the oregano has spread like a weed to almost the whole bed and has handled the last 2 years of what they call a harsh winter here in north carolina unprotected.
as for the soil in the bed it was one of the first beds to be fill with "garden soil" from the local nursery, before i started to screen it and started to add bags of "black kow" to the beds. twice a year they get a couple handfuls of 13-13-13 and thats it.....

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Say it 'taint so, majorcatfish! Three springs ago I planted a bit of oregano from my BFF1. It has spread to cover a good portion of the corner, but most of my bed is still usable for veggie planting. No way I could use or want that much of a good thing.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, are you saying having that much is a good thing? Or are you saying you can't bring yourself to PRUNE the oregano back a bit like I did.

I really do like what you've done with your gardening space.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Too answer your question we do go though quite a bit of orageno, but we do give away a good portion if it to friends...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's how I manage my oregano too, Major. I found if I give it a regular haircut after the bees have finished with the blooms, it never gets to go to seed. And it looks nicer too, I think.

Latest posts