2015 journal of the gardens

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That is truly amazing. During my mis-spent youth period in Portland, Oregon there were many neighborhoods with front yard veggie gardens. Yours is every bit a awesome as those. Are you in a neighborhood where the veggies stay until you pick them or do some of them go wandering alone.

I remember some Oregonians saying that anything reachable from their sidewalk was free for the taking.

I haven't ever experienced anyone taking anything out of the garden. But I generally offer herbs and food to my neighbors. I suspect they watch out for the garden when they are outside. If I did see someone taking food I would probably offer to teach them how to garden.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My grandma grew tomatoes in front yard, then used any thing to stake them. Broom handles to hockey sticks, she would never pay money for stakes. But in all fairness several others on block did same.

I use this method to save money and space. Given the variety of tomatoes I grow, this method works wonderfully. Also I don't fertilize during the growing season nor do I have any blight issues, though I can see how one would expect some.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the other day coming back from a drug test, took a side street to get back saw a wonderful frontyard garden with no trespassing signs posted noticed another sign hand painted went around the block to read it "trespassers beware protected by rock salt".... times have changed ...

I can't imagine that at all. I don't want someone tromping through the garden, but anyone that needs food is free to take it from my garden. I've actually considered building a raised bed on the food forest side of the garden and proclaiming it a member of the 'Food is free' project.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't imagine that at all. I don't want someone tromping through the garden, but anyone that needs food is free to take it from my garden. I've actually considered building a raised bed on the food forest side of the garden and proclaiming it a member of the 'Food is free' project.
Guess you never been in the older part of Burlington then. Would not want to break down after dark.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried some of the white beetroot from my garden.

It pretty much tasted like red beets, a little less flavor but very noticeable sweetness. I kinda expected all that.

DW said she might like to have them again ..! I didn't expect that! ...but, had hoped so.

;) Steve