2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thrilled to see your post Marshall. Like Aftermidnight says. Attitude is 1/2 (or more) of the battle. Hang in there y TEG friend. We are all pulling and praying for you.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thanks for that post, very interesting. @TheSeedObsesser I planted my seeds the day I got them but my sisters dog got in the garden and dug and played and what a mess! so I will just have to figure out what beans are which when they are harvested:he no biggie.

No biggie! I forgot what I even sent, lol.

Good luck and happy gardening!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
HI @murphysranch

Sounds like you had a few seeds of #54 & #55 left over. The seed you already planted rotted so likely the rest of it will too. It's probably too old. How about if I send you the two pole beans that are left over and you can try those? Prizewinner, and Purple Champion.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
OH! That would be wonderful, @Bluejay77 . Can you get them to me quickly? We are renting out our home from next Thursday to Sunday and then Monday to Sunday. So if I got them next week, I can get them started soon rather than later. We are going camping while the 2 groups are at our home, so I'll take my bean babies with me!

Thanks!

-Barbara

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay, my Chilean butterbeans are up, 9 out of 12. The Portuguese White Alubia did not come up. I have sifted the soil through my fingers, but nary a trace of them. Sorry about that. If you have another bean that needs to be grown out, I will save this space.

It has been unseasonably cool and most of my garden plants are protesting by doing nothing. While we're loving the free AC and low electric bill, the garden would rather have the heat. Raw land, first year garden, bang head on fence post LOL.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@murphysranch I'll get those two beans out today, and @baymule I'll pick something for you. Your bean will be in the mail today too. It's been a cool dry April here too. Soon the sun will tip the heat scale and summer will be on before we know it. Last week one day when I got up one morning we had just a touch of snow on the roofs of the houses around here. Brrrrrr.

A word about Marshall is that he's going to do great in the long run. I've never seen even a touch of negativity in anything that Marshall has ever posted before. He's had his home and job ripped right out from underneath him. I would say he's gone through shock, but this will pass. He's kicking the cigarette habit. Heck, he's getting tougher, better, and healthier.

VA_LongBean

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bean Report:
-The Solwezi have 2 well formed bean seedlings (the first emerged on the 16th). One is slightly etiolated from not getting enough natural light, but both seem fine and are producing the second set of true leaves. I may plant them in the garden next week. The other two I planted have split their seed coats and are trying to emerge. 2 more are being held in reserve. I anticipate a very vigorous pole bean from these.
-The Piet special have finally begun to sprout. They began to open yesterday. The other two tried to sprout a week or so back, but I think they may have failed as no stem or seedling leaves ever emerged. Again, 2 seeds in reserve.
-The Mammoth Golden Cluster and Admire Snitbonen have not yet sprouted, but I will keep waiting. These came with 3 seeds each and in retrospect I should have saved out a single backup seed for each kind.

-I planted a number of bush bean varieties in the garden last week: Royal Burgundy, Black Valentine, Pencil Pod, Bountiful, Bush Blue Lake, Buckskin Girl and Comtesse De Chambord (the last two from Russ). No activity yet, but the last two weeks have been a bit cool.

Other Legumes
-All of the peas I planted a month ago are up and growing well. The ones planted last Saturday are beginning to sprout, but need some time.
-A number of cowpeas have sprouted as volunteers in my seedling bed, which was last year's cowpea, amaranth and sunflower bed.

NancyJ10x

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Is it still possible to join the seed grow-out? I just found this forum and would love to participate if possible.

Thanks
Nancy

Latest posts