2015 Little Easy Bean Network - Old Beans Should Never Die !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Long day today. Would you believe finally planting my big bean patch. Left the house at 9 am today and got home a little after 7:30 pm. Wow! did a shower feel good tonight. Drank 3 quarts of water today. Will have to take some pictures tomorrow. 11 rows 46 feet long. Planted 63 varieties today about 96 more to go. Need a good dry day tomorrow.

Planted 1. Cape Sugar (one of the LEBN beans that member here helped to save). 2. Charlettown ( a bean I got from Hal). 3. Keeny's Stringless (another Hal bean. This bean is one of Calvin Keeny's early varieties. Calvin is the father of the stringless bean). 4. Nippersink (does that ring a bell. You can find it on one of the Bean Fashion Shows). 5. Purple Trout ( a recent outcross that looks like it's going to stablize fast). 6. TIgre (from Harriet Mella in Austria). 7. Tin Tan Seed (working name. You can find it in last autumns Bean Fashinon Show). 8. White Soldier (another recent outcross I'm working on). 9. Maine (something Mandy at Mandy's Greenhouse sent to me). 10. Illinois Snap (one of my old original varities from the late 70's. Nice snap bean). 11. Greencrop (older commercial variety from the late 60's). 12. Fagiolo Cosaruciaru Di Sicili (bought this from Baker Creek recently. A bean from Sicily). 13. Billingsgate (recent outcross can be found in the Bean Fashion Show). 14. African Premier Segregation #2 ( recent outcross from the Bean Fashsion Show). 15. Blooming Prairie ( a Robert Lobitz purple podded bush). 16. Gross Brothers Vermont Cranberry 17. Kishwaukee Yellow ( From Neil Lash in Maine. One of my early outcrosses from 1977. This one from Neil produced the Pied Python for sea-kangaroo. Want to see if it will produce more of those Pied colored beans). 18. Flash (an old heirloom horticultural bean bred by Professor Meader in the 1940's). 19. Blue Jay. (The first outcross I ever found in my garden in 1977. Many heritage seed companies are selling it in Canada). 20. Canadian Dot Eye 21 (this bean was once part of the Wanigan bean Collection). 21. Purple Queen (this was last grown by Marshall in our bean network). 22. White Refugee (a wax bean I grew in the early 80's. SSE says I'm the original source of this bean, but I don't remember who I had gotten if from before I grew it). 23. Purple Rose (another Robert Lobitz variety). 24. Feijao Brasil ( a black turtle type from Brazil. Last grown by Marshall in our bean network). 24. Pebblestone Dark Mottled (recent outcross find. Working title for now). 25. Marfax (this used to be a part of John Withee's Wanigan Collection). 26. Long Lake Giant (a Robert Lobitz sanp bean). 27. Money (a pretty bean I first grew and discovered through the Wanigan Colletion in the late 70's. 28. Pawnee (another of my original beans from 1979. Very productive dry bush bean that looks like a brown and white Jacob's Cattle). 29. Pink Panther (from Harriet Mella in Austria. An original bean from a bean collector she knows in her country). 30. Nun's Belllybutton (a bean I got from a young lady in Derby England). 31. Rabbit's Foot Segregation #1.
(another recent outcross from my garden can be found in the LEBN Fashion Show). 32. Rose D' Eyragues (another bean I got from the lady in Derby England). 33.Yellow Jacket (a renamed outcross I got from The Danish Seed Savers). 34. Painted Pony 35. Pied Python (pretty bean discovered and named by @sea-kangaroo). 36. Benishibori (from Hal in Australia via Marshall). 37. Andrea Rose (an outcross that came out of Rose D' Eyragues. This was unnamed at the time on the LEBN Fashion Show last fall). 38. Angel Cattle (a bean from Professor Klapprott in Germany. A bean he got from someone in the South of France). 39. Anderson's Wonder (a snap bean from Hal.) 40. Brown Rice (a bean from Joseph Simcox. Very small thin rice size seed). 41. African Premier Segregation #3 (LEBN Fashion show autumn 2014). 42. Provider (old commercial snap bean). 43. Holstein (a recent outcross find from my garden). 44. Billingsgate segregation #1 (LEBN Fashion Show Autumn 2014). 45. Billingsgate segregation #3 (LEBN Fashion Show Autumn 2014. 46. An Unnamed outcross from Will Bonsall in Maine. 47. An Unnamed outcross from Will Bonsall in Maine. 48. Pebblestone (an outcross discovery from my garden in 2012). 49. Giant Red Tarka 50. Red Eyed Ranger (another of my outcrosses). 51. Shelleasy X Soldier (recently obtained from SSE. The bean was an original bean from early SSE member and Wanigan member Ernest B. Danna of Etna New Hampshire). 52. Piros Feher 53. Wadex (recently obtained from SSE. Snap bean from the 1960's). 54. 12-97B (a bean Robert Lobitz was working on before he passed away. Recently obtained a bunch of these Robert Lobitz works in progress from a SSE member in Kansas). 55. Tobacco Patch 56. Red Valentine (snap bean that goes back into the early 1800's). 57. SuxYeE (another of the Robert Lobitz works in progress). 58. Rabbits Foot segregation #2 (seen in the LEBN Fashion Show autumn 2014). 59. Mazzeppa (an original Robert Lobitz bean). 60. Chaska Purple (an original Robert Lobitz bean). 61. Grandma's Shell (a large seeded red cranberry bean that was once part of the Wanigan Collection). 62. Rode Soldatenboon (from the Netherlands. It's name translates into English as Red Soldier Bean). 63. Purple Rose Creek (an original Robert Lobitz bean). Time to take an Ibuprofen and hit the sack.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 WOW planted all those beans today and bush beans to boot, I feel for you buddy, Your back must be aching. I direct seeded your Blue Jay today too, last bean to go in, soil nice and warm and just after I finished planting them we had a little shower so they should be happy little campers.
I'm growing 45 varieties this year mostly pole, don't ask me where I found the space for them all but I did, some I'm only growing samples of as I only had half a dozen beans of a dozen or so varieties. I found one oddball bean in a packet of Grandma Nellie's Mushroom I bought a couple of years back so I planted that one in a pot of it's own, don't know if it's a cross, a mutation or just a seed that got in the wrong packet, it's up and growing so we'll see what it produces.
I'm also growing a pole of the true 'Lazy wife' this year was kind enough to share a few seeds with me. I'm really looking forward to seeing what it produces for me. Also since it looks like we are heading for a warmer if not hot summer I've put in a few 'Black Seeded Yardlongs', a bush yardlong 'Yancheng Bush' and a hyacinth bean 'India Bush'. These 3 are iffy here but if we have a warm enough growing season just maybe :).
Annette
Looking forward to your pictures.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I hope that Anderson's Wonder puts out a nicer seed for you this year, I'll be growing it again myself actually.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight sounds like you will have fun this summer with your bean farm. 45 varieties mostly pole beans is quite a bunch. I planted your Irish Connors in a flower bed behind my house this year. We are supposed to have another below normal summer temperature wise. The cooler summers just makes the colors on the trout pattern beans just gorgeous.

Reactions: Hal

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Hal,

I think the Anderson's Wonder gave me some nice seed last year. They were just not a large quantity. Only planted 5 seeds last summer. This year almost 3 times as many of last years seed crop. I think the purple color will wind up being just a tad darker again, but then again time will tell. I think it might be the soil. Planted 28 Pawnee seeds yesterday of my 2013 seed stock. Want to see if I can come up with any more of those black and white ones like the one Pawnee plant gave last year. The black and white one I'm calling Pandora. I wanted to be able to picture it next to it's mother on the website. Hope to plant Pandora seeds today.

Reactions: Hal

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @Hal,

I think the Anderson's Wonder gave me some nice seed last year. They were just not a large quantity. Only planted 5 seeds last summer. This year almost 3 times as many of last years seed crop. I think the purple color will wind up being just a tad darker again, but then again time will tell. I think it might be the soil. Planted 28 Pawnee seeds yesterday of my 2013 seed stock. Want to see if I can come up with any more of those black and white ones like the one Pawnee plant gave last year. The black and white one I'm calling Pandora. I wanted to be able to picture it next to it's mother on the website. Hope to plant Pandora seeds today.
That out cross you had from Pawnee is stunning, maybe something else is lurking in that batch of seed.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@teamnu were you in east Texas where they are rare? Unfortunately my Texas experience has been the opposite of yours--I saw my first one from a distance while driving in the panhandle on my way to Colorado during my college years. Then several decades ago one passed over a building I was working in, destroying a building across the road. In the past 15 years I have driven unknowingly into two different tornadoes, one of which broke my windshield with ice the shape and size of apple turnovers. In two separate instances tornadoes damaged two places I was about to make an offer on, even injuring my realtor, so I guess it was only a matter of time before one found me. Although not exactly tornado alley, the hill country is more susceptible because it's where the cold, dry air meets Gulf moisture.

teamneu

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
@flowerweaver We are just north of Dallas, living in Texas, and have a small farm just across the border in Oklahoma where we plan to retire to someday. I've just been lucky, knock on wood. You haven't been - wow! Your experiences must have really made you feel alive!!
One of my most memorable experiences was bicycling near Leakey and sitting out a thunderstorm with no protection and with lightening striking all around. Being so totally present in the moment made me really notice the wonder of being alive in this world.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@teamneu Yes, this place provides many experiences that make me feel alive. Funny you should mention 'near Leakey' as your place of experiencing wonder and aliveness because that's where I am...undoubtedly you cycled down my scenic road, as all cyclists do :) This is a magical place when it's not trying to kill you. Did you ever participate in Bicycle Classic? If so, I was the one that put that on for many years. Small world, eh?

Latest posts