2016 Corn Thread

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Corn was planted last week in the full of the moon, corn is up today about an inch. Planted all Ambrosia this year, with Moon and Stars melons throughout, as well as Rough Vif D'Etampes pumpkins in the understory of the corn. Hope to put some cantaloupe in there too...lost my seed packet and need to buy another.

Will likely plant some half runners in one row when the corn is up a little further.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I saw my first tassel a few days ago. The Painted Mountain corn came up on April 25, first tassel on May 25. I think it's time to plant my Anasazi sweet corn now.

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Corn was planted last week in the full of the moon, corn is up today about an inch. Planted all Ambrosia this year, with Moon and Stars melons throughout, as well as Rough Vif D'Etampes pumpkins in the understory of the corn. Hope to put some cantaloupe in there too...lost my seed packet and need to buy another.

Will likely plant some half runners in one row when the corn is up a little further.
What cantaloupe are you looking for? I have about 20 different Muskmelon, cantaloupe and honeydew types. I would be glad to send you some.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What cantaloupe are you looking for? I have about 20 different Muskmelon, cantaloupe and honeydew types. I would be glad to send you some.
Why don't you list them for her so she can take her pick! That is a very generous offer, you're alright, Todd!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How sweet!!!! I don't have a preference, as I haven't grown cantaloupe for nigh on 40 yrs, so just grabbed a generic packet of seeds to see if they will do anything in this gardening method. I'll probably do the same thing when next I go to town.

Thank you for the offer, though...that is so generous!

Todd Ziegler

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
How sweet!!!! I don't have a preference, as I haven't grown cantaloupe for nigh on 40 yrs, so just grabbed a generic packet of seeds to see if they will do anything in this gardening method. I'll probably do the same thing when next I go to town.

Thank you for the offer, though...that is so generous!
Your welcome. If you decide to grow some melons next year, just give me a message and I will be glad to send you some seed. I specialize in small (1-2 pound) cantaloupe, honeydew and Muskmelon. I have a a large collection of ice box, small vining, short growing season watermelon, in all different colors. I love sharing seed and all I ask in return is to send me some seed of what you grow. Happy gardening!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to go back to page 1 of this thread to edit a post I made to sum up the corn information and there is no edit to click on so that I may do so. So here is my summary of Painted Mountain corn.

1st planting: April 8, 2016. Crows pulled up every single sprout, ate the corn kernel off and left the seedling to die. Replanted on April 19, 2016. It came up April 25, 6 days later. I had covered the rows with wire hoops and bird netting, didn't lose a single one to crows. The first tassel was May 25 and I picked all the ears yesterday for dry corn. From plant to harvest was 74 days!

Now for the condition of the corn, this is my second year to garden in pure sand. I mulched heavily over the winter and had 3 pigs in the garden last winter. The mulch area where the corn grew was mulched in pine needles. I amended with more manure. The fertility just wasn't there, it will take time to get the deep rich soil I want. Very few of the ears were long and filled out. Most were short nubbins with curled tips of undeveloped cob, showing the promise of what could have been. Corn worms got into almost every cob, rabbits ate tops off many of the cobs and my horses reached over the fence, pulling up every one they could reach. So with all the negatives, I am more than pleased with my harvest. This year, if I get anything at all, I am thrilled.

IMG_1015.JPG

I found a few cobs of dark, dark purple, almost black. I think I will plant these separately to see if I get more of the same or if they produce multicolors. I put 2 nice ears on top of the basket to show what should have been, but mostly didn't get. I will spread them out to dry further. I had to pick as some of the ears were starting to sprout! Some I tossed because they had mold. Maybe I should have picked them sooner. So from plant to pick was 74 days. I am happy that I have enough to have seed for next year and I have enough to make corn meal. I will report back with my first cornbread from this amazing corn!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
have 3 beds of sweet corn going and another once the bush beans are done..
staggered the planting of them this year..
this year growing "vision (sh2)" from johnnys

planted 6-5-16 12' bed
DSC_0021.JPG

planted 6-12-16 16' bed
DSC_0022.JPG

planted 6-25-16 16' bed
DSC_0023.JPG

the bed on the left will be the next round

Last edited:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pretty corn all around! My corn was planted during that little cold and wet snap we got this spring, so didn't germinate well(untreated kernels), but I planted more in the gaps that are coming up now.

The original planting is over waste high but doesn't look very meaty and thick in the stalk like I prefer....of course, that's with no fertilizers other than a little compost from the coop and some ancient horse manure here and there.

Won't be a good corn year here in this new BTE type garden, but maybe with time it will improve.

Latest posts