2016 Corn Thread

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Assume a short day corn is one that black layers (matures) earlier than other corn plants.

I know some will get upset but if u r growing corn for meal or animal feed, why not use hybrid conventional seed? You would get a much larger harvest with the same work.

You're just no fun at all Seed. Funny, maybe, but not fun. :confused:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, next year I'd like to try growing some sweet corn since you'all rave about it's taste. I may have room for about 12 plants planted tightly. Is this enough plants for pollination and what kind do you recommend. My summers only get to about 67°

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, will send you some seed. Not real hopeful as corn likes 70's and 80's.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Assume a short day corn is one that black layers (matures) earlier than other corn plants.

I know some will get upset but if u r growing corn for meal or animal feed, why not use hybrid conventional seed? You would get a much larger harvest with the same work.

I want to save seed from year to year. Can't save hybrid seed. And the Painted Mountain corn is so pretty!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, I get the pretty, because it is. I get the wanting to save your own seed. Economics, I don't get or the productivity. $4 for 1500-2000 seeds that will last you how many years? With hybrid vigor plus it is designed for yield and health of plant, same amount of work but 2-4 times more corn. Same reason I use hybrid sweet corn.

To each their own, enjoy your open pollinated, as above rant is not meant to dissuade anyone. Just trying to understand-education for me.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, I get the pretty, because it is. I get the wanting to save your own seed. Economics, I don't get or the productivity. $4 for 1500-2000 seeds that will last you how many years? With hybrid vigor plus it is designed for yield and health of plant, same amount of work but 2-4 times more corn. Same reason I use hybrid sweet corn.

To each their own, enjoy your open pollinated, as above rant is not meant to dissuade anyone. Just trying to understand-education for me.

That's not a rant, and I am not upset. This is just a discussion about corn. Some people like to argue, but we don't do that. We just give each other crap. :lol: I listen politely to your point of view and you listen politely to mine. We both learn. :thumbsup If I ever get the fertility of the soil up to speed, the Painted Mountain makes nice 7" ears, and from plant to harvest for dry corn in 74 days. What's not to like about that? In theory, that means I could get it together to plant another crop right behind it. Hmmmm...... It's 100* HOT and HUMID and it's hard to muster up enough enthusiasm to peel myself off the air conditioner to go out to Hades to commit suicidal heat stroke by gardening. :gig

I bought hybrid sweet corn at the grocery store and put it in the freezer. I know my garden is still in the infant stage and I am unwilling to go a year or two with no home made cream corn. Does that make you feel a little better? ;) Baymule, the organic, heritage seed, open pollinated fanatic, contaminated her freezer with store bought produce! :th

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule Appreciate the response. I find people's reasoning interesting as on this subject I don't see a right or wrong just what someone prefers. The PM corn is pretty. Do you like gritty corn bread? Dent corn will make more of a cakey type of bread that some don't enjoy the texture.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
HPIM0078.jpg

Latest posts