2016 Corn Thread

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , in spite of all your hardships with gardening your PM corn looks good!
I missed the boat on so many things this year, including corn. :(
I gave most of my saved PM seed away, but I remember keeping a baggie of the dark burgundy kernels to replant. I should hunt them out. Maybe I could sneak some in and get a harvest before the first freeze in September.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am determined to raise my own corn for cornmeal. I really think the Painted Mountain is the one, I just need to give it more fertile ground to grow in, chase off the rabbits and horses. :gig

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can grow it in glacial gravel, Bay'.

You can grow it in Texas snow.

Pretty and pretty amazing variety :)

Steve

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Someday I would like to try growing corn for cornmeal here. I tried once, but started too late with a long-season variety. I usually don't experienced problems with crows, but raccoons will eat every ear.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't grow corn, not enough space with everything else I want to grow but a couple of years ago when I was given some bean seed someone bought at a farmer's from high up in the Andes in Ecuador, there were two corn kernels in the mix. This seed was 15 years old, I managed to get most of the beans to germinate along with the two kernels of corn. This is the cob one plant produced, I think I picked the cob too soon as the kernels shriveled up quite a bit, nevertheless I planted a couple of kernels this spring and they're growing. I think it's a variety they made beer out of.
DSCN5716.JPG
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's amazing Annette! Like that color too.

While looking for my PM seeds, (didn't find the baggie but did find an ear of burgundy kernels) I also came across a packet of Orchard Baby sweet corn. I think I'll have the kids plant that Wednesday. It's a knee high sweet corn.
The girls love diminutive vegetables so I think they'll get a kick out of it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom is Orchard Baby a short day corn like the Painted Mountain is?

Well I'll tell ya...I have no idea what a short day corn is Bay. :p

Is that short day like in onions? I know it's short as in not tall and likes to grow during the day, but am generally not more knowledgeable than that on corn.
I got it from a Canadian seed company, but the packet doesn't have any useful information on it. I grew it 3 or 4 or 5 years ago, and don't really remember how it did.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Assume a short day corn is one that black layers (matures) earlier than other corn plants.

I know some will get upset but if u r growing corn for meal or animal feed, why not use hybrid conventional seed? You would get a much larger harvest with the same work.