2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have #34 and #50 soaking in between wet paper towels. I sowed my 7 Brown Star Gold Band seeds today in individual cups. Next I need to sow the Solwezi #2 seeds down at my community garden plot. I am so excited to be part of this group and growing these great bean varieties!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Tricia77,

You used the word soaking. Are those paper towels really super juicy with water and go squish when you press on the paper towels with your finger? The paper towels should be damp and shouldn't go squish. The best way to keep the paper towel damp without using too much water is to put the towel in ziploc bags with the open end unfastened. Just curious! Thought I would ask.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are juicy not damp. I guess I should squeeze them out. Thanks for the heads up Russ!

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , about 'Candy' planted in a container last year the growth pattern was definitely bush, not even a short runner. This year from seed from last year's crop planted out in a raised bed it's definitely a twining bush:(, was hoping we were onto something but apparently not. As to the #45's some are well on there way up the netting others are healthy but haven't started to climb, each plant is numbered so hope to be able to keep the vines separated so I can keep a record of what each plant produces. The 'Witsa' are still looking really good, happily climbing up their strings.

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Annette,

Sounds like Candy is still the good old Candy that I've always known. I think Seed Savers Exchange described the plants as twinning but not self supporting. Sounds like the the other beans I sent are going to do fine for you.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I now have fresh damp paper towels and the bags are left open. The beans looked fine, #50 really plumped up. I did notice an odor in the #50 bag, is that normal?

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Look carefully at the seeds - I bet there is a bad one in there (dark/mold?) and that is causing an off odor. Rinse the remainder and put in a fresh container to keep the microbial load down.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I rinsed my four #50 beans and I found one to be mushy, so I threw it away. I now have three and hopefully the smell will be gone and they will sprout soon. I noticed today that some of my #34 beans are sprouting!

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The #50 seeds are still stinky and they aren't sprouting, I think they might all be bad seeds. On the other hand #34 seeds are all sprouting! I also noticed this morning 5 out of the 7 Brown Star Gold Band seeds are germinating, I started them in individual cups. I also sowed the Kilham Goose and Solwezi #2 seeds today at my community garden plot. I just need to sow the Cape Sugar seeds.

Latest posts