2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Tricia77 your garden is so neat and tidy. Beautiful! And you've been away for 8 days? It looks so nice!
Thank you! I did all my weeding before I left on my trip and I had a friend water for me while I was away.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Tricia77 Your bean grow out looks very healthy. Looks like all the beans I sent you are going to be a great success.
Thanks! Fingers crossed! I put poles next to each BSGB plant just in case they are a pole variety. The packet said bush, but when talking to Marshal he said he remembered them being pole.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
20160625_192727.jpg

Good turn out on my 8 varieties. Nearly all have germinated. Only had to toss out maybe 3 moldy beans. These have been under grow lights, but will go out under the carport to harden off for a few days til the garden dries out. So glad I didn't risk starting them outside after the 4" deluge we got Thursday. Red clay crusts over pretty badly after that.

#47 is already showing signs of being 2 different strains. 2 of the 4 specimens are showing red veining. Looks to be some sort of snap beans I'm guessing on #47, 48 and 49.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
View attachment 14655

Good turn out on my 8 varieties. Nearly all have germinated. Only had to toss out maybe 3 moldy beans. These have been under grow lights, but will go out under the carport to harden off for a few days til the garden dries out. So glad I didn't risk starting them outside after the 4" deluge we got Thursday. Red clay crusts over pretty badly after that.

#47 is already showing signs of being 2 different strains. 2 of the 4 specimens are showing red veining. Looks to be some sort of snap beans I'm guessing on #47, 48 and 49.
Nice plants and good germination rate!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I divided one of the numbered beans I got from Russ into four different segregations, #32. The one I’m calling 32A was a deep red, almost black, blocky shaped bean. It was marked as a bush bean. I have them planted in two different areas.

32 A.JPG

This one is a true bush. I have two of these. They are not very robust but look like they will make beans. It hasn’t set pods yet but look at the color of that blossom. Beautiful and vibrant.

32A Bush Plant Bloom.JPG

Another bean grown from those 32A seeds is a pole bean, a very robust pole that has easily outgrown my trellis. This is one plant.

32A Pole Plant.JPG

Notice the color of the bloom, it’s a very light pink.

32A Pole Bloom.JPG

And it has a few pods started. Many of them look like they will hold only one bean but this is a nice pod.

32A Pole Pod.JPG

It’s going to be really interesting to see what colors and patterns of dried beans I get out of these. I’m not sure they have totally stopped segregating. If I remember right, Russ said that pole growth habit is dominant over bush. If that is the case I’d expect this 32A Pole to continue segregating as far as growth habit if nothing else.

The other three segregations of the #32 are all growing as bush. I did get another pole from the 32A seeds but it is not vigorous at all, I don’t expect to get any seeds from it but I’m trying. I think the seed was one of those moldy ones that managed to sprout but doesn’t have much energy.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mine are growing but some better than others, all on the same trellis so have the same growing conditions, a few bush types a few pole in #45. A few are quite weak compared to the others but am hoping to get a few seeds from all of them at the end of the season.

Annette

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , that was one question I had... If our beans keep segregating, for those we return to you, should we perhaps keep referring to them by their number and add a letter after it like Ridgerunner is doing? I'm excited to name one, but will probably wait until they stabilize. At least one of mine is showing 2 different segregations.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow ! interesting stuff happening with these beans. I had a round black seed that Will Bonsall had marked as a pole. I planted 4 of the seeds and they are all growing as a bush.

@journey11, You might want to name them but also add numbers and letters after their names. We can keep following their progress in that manner.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Globula next year that Bay is growing this season.

Ridgerunner has got some interesting things going on with all his beans.

Once again if anyone has beans that seemed to segregate alot go ahead and name them but add the number they came with and then add letters to each segregation they throw off. I would name each segregation also.

Last edited:

Latest posts