2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I looked at pink colors on the internet and I think the 45-4 could be called bright pink. 45-9 has a real interesting blossom. A twinning bush. Maybe what we might call a semi-runner. Neat stuff. Will be interesting to see what the next generation produces.

Mmmmm this got me thinking so I got my RHS Color Chart out and the closest I could come to the color of the #45-4 pod on the color chart was #59 A in the Red Purple Group.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check out this website, http://digitalsynopsis.com/design/color-thesaurus-correct-names-of-shades/

The correct name for all the colors it says. It starts out at white. Goes through all the colors and winds up at black. Instead of bright pink I think I'm back calling my bright pink bean blossoms Fuscia like I have been calling it for a number of years.

Of course I think the way we all see color of bean blossoms maybe a bit of an individual interpretation.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
While we are at it Russ, what is your terminology for parts of a bloom? I've seen both standard and banner used for the same part. It helped me quite a bit when I looked up the parts so I could separate them. I still get confused when looking at the blooms. I'm not sure if my glasses get dirty, the sun hits at different angles or maybe it is cloudy, maybe they change some as they dry out, or some vines have very subtle differences in shades. For instance, all my 27's have pink blossoms, but I'm getting different segregations from them so I figure there can be subtle differences in the pink in different segregations. As I said, I get confused. But looking at them by parts really helped.

I call the white part of this the keel and wings, but what would you call the yellow part, banner or standard? I'll try to describe some of the blooms by parts when I send the information to you so I might as well use the nomenclature you use. Some of the banners/standards I'm calling pink have white on the outside but are lined with pink inside. I'm not getting into that detail. Those are pink.

32D White.JPG

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I now have two types of beans on my #34 pole beans.

Striped beans
Untitled by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Plain Green beans

#34 Pole Bean Teepee

Kilham Goose
They are starting vine a little. The leaves are smaller than most of my bean varieties I am growing.

Kilham Goose by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Brown Star Gold Band
They are also starting to vine and have small leaves. I have 7 plants. My plants seem to be struggling with a leaf disease or something. I don't see any flowers yet. I really want these plants to produce some beans!

Brown Star Gold Band by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Brown Star Gold Band by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Solwezi #2
The plants are really vining nicely up my trellis. I noticed a few beans yesterday!

Solwezi #2 by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner, I really never learned the names of the parts of a bean blossom. I see in your photo of the white blossom on the left I can see what they call the standard. It's the hooded part that stands stright up. So what is the part of the blossom hanging down from the standard. I suppose there are more parts of that blossom that can't be seen in your photo since the blossom seems to be hanging down. We are not looking at the blossom from the front but rather from the top. I never paid much attention to bean blossoms except for general color.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tricia77, Looks like your red striped beans have darkened into a strong purple color. Wow ! Heavily splashed. Neat stuff. Nice looking color and pods. The Woodruff bean I think is a semi-runner the last time I grew it three years ago. That Solwezi pod in your photo looks like a pretty good sized pod already. It will soon become more lumpy with more advanced developed seeds. You will just have to wait to see what your Brown Star Gold Band beans do. The top leaves on Brown Star look healthy. Sometimes bottom leaves on bean plants start to yellow and brown out and even drop off. As long as the rest of the leaves are healthy looking I don't think you have anything to worry about. Thanks for putting up all your bean photos here on this thread. Love to see everyone's pictures.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm growing Kilham Goose not Woodruff. It looks like Kilham Goose is a semi runner. Thanks again for this opportunity!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tricia77, Yes your correct Kilham Goose you are growing. I think the Woodruff is also a semi-runner. I get the seed of both of these confused for some reason. I may have acquired them both at the same time and they both have red and white on them.

Latest posts