2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner I love all the beans you are finding with beautiful colors! I like the names Dragon and Raspberry Ripple

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bean update, 8/4/16.

Milk & Cider is going bonkers. No blooms yet, but will be soon. Both of these teepees are same, so I will have lots of these for eating.
View attachment 15414

Upside down for some reason! This is #49. Would appear that it is a bush bean after all. The leaves look funny. Maybe it needs fertilized?
View attachment 15415

This is #48, also a bush bean it seems. It has a pretty pink bloom and is just setting pods now.
View attachment 15416
View attachment 15417

#47, which is clearly at least 2 different beans now. The two vines to the left are blooming profusely, white blossoms. The two vines to the right have not begun to bloom yet. These have a dark red vine, so I can tell them apart anyway.
View attachment 15418

(Blooms on #47-A)
View attachment 15419

(Vines of #47-B)
View attachment 15420

Aunt Jean's is blooming now.
View attachment 15422

This one specimen of Aunt Jean's looks horrible. Any thoughts on this? Would root damage from pulling weeds have done this? No other beans affected at this point, just this one.
View attachment 15421
That terrible looking plant has all the tell tale signs of a viral infection and I'd strongly suggest incinerating it pronto. Better to be safe than sorry.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That terrible looking plant has all the tell tale signs of a viral infection and I'd strongly suggest incinerating it pronto. Better to be safe than sorry.

I put it in the trash along with 2 others. I'm holding my breath on the remaining 2, which have already set some nice looking pods. :fl I'm away on vacation for the next week, so I'm sure time will tell when I get back.

What are your thoughts on the #49 bush bean? There are several beans throughout my garden now that have those yellowed leaves with dark veins, but appear otherwise fine and are progressing well, including now #48. I did fence my chickens over it for about 6 months, so I lean toward expecting that the N is a little higher than beans like, but is not exactly evenly distributed throughout the whole garden. (The tomatoes and peppers and watermelons are the biggest and best I've ever grown this year.) So while I want to think it is just the extra N causing the yellowing (iron chlorosis), I'd be curious to know what you guys think of the looks of those. The other has me so worried now from all I've read. I'll get more pics when I get back.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I just shelled several dried pods of your Candy which by the way grew like a half runner this year (6ft.). Have you ever found Candy seed with the seed coat colors reversed? This is what I think I have, not a sport or mutation but just reversed seed coat colors.
DSCN6870.JPG

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight,

That is very interesting about the reversed seed coat colors. I don't recall ever seeing that in Candy. I just checked all the Candy seed I currently have and not a single seed has a reversed seed coat color.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

Also interesting that you say it climbed to 6ft. SSE lists the bean in their 2014 yearbook and describes it as a week climber, twinning to bush. I'll have to try them on poles next year and see what they do. I've always grown it on the ground as a bush being mostly a semi runner. How often do you grow out Candy? Next year will be three years since I grew them last.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I was given just a 3 seed sample of Candy in 2010 (how old this seed was I don't know), they sat in the fridge until last year when I grew them in a tub, it was the hottest summer I've ever experienced here. I manged to collect a few seeds from plants that grew in a true bush form, no runners. This year I planted seed from these in a raised bed that I had added a lot of sea soil to, maybe that's why they grew as long. They grew out of the bed and up a nearby lattice panel. We are experiencing another unusual summer this year, cooler temps than normal and a fair amount of rain, so maybe growing conditions have a lot to do with how long or not this variety will grow ???. If I grow these again I'll keep in mind that they might need something to grow up. Love the color of the seed coats Candy is a very fitting name for this variety. If I had more room here I'd grow more bush beans but seeing I don't I usually just grow pole types.

I started a few more #45's from seed I managed to collect so far this year. Just one each from several different plants, most grew as bush beans. This time they came up strong and healthy not like their weak parents. I have each one in a hanging basket so they can be moved to the greenhouse in September if the weather turns wet and cold, not saying I'll get seed but worth a try.
Annette

Latest posts