2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@journey11 Could you do me a huge favor please? I'd like some pictures of the backs of the leaves on #49 preferably as close as possible.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@PhilaGardener Yes indeed. The top side of the leaves has all the signs I've seen personally during my summer grow outs.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is what I am getting from my #34 pole beans. So far I found 4 different types.

Bean #1
Green pods with heavy purple splashing. When fully ripe the pods were almost completely purple.
Untitled by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Bean #2
Green pods with pink splashing. When fully ripe the pods were flamingo pink. One of the pods produced brown beans with white specks.

Bean #3
Green pods with no splashing. Beans are blue and brown.

Bean #4
Green pods with minimal purple splashing. Beans are yellowish brown. Most of my vines produced this type of bean.

Last edited:

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Kilham Goose
It hasn't done well for me. The plants were not bush, more semi runner. Some of the pods were chewed on by voles. So far I only harvested a few dry beans. They are very pretty. They remind me of Red Calypso beans.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tricia, I've been waiting to see your results. That's a nice variety and some good looking beans. Looks like you had good production too.

Can you tell how much those look like the bean you planted? Looking at the photo of #34 in Russ's first pot in this thread it looks like you had a variety there.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think in general yours produced closer to the bean planted than mine did. I had some pretty wild variations, but you have some nice variations too. Where did those #!'s come from the beans you planted? Hopefully yours are closer to breeding true. It would be nice to have some stability in them.

I'm still collecting a few though its pretty well over. I'll let them dry out totally before I sort them and see how many different beans I have. Then I have to decide which ones I wan to plant again and which to just send back to Russ. I just don't have room to plant all of mine. That's not going to be an easy decision.

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't plant the seeds separately, so labeling was difficult. I planted 5 seeds around each bamboo pole of the teepee. I didn't separate by color. I have been harvesting and dividing them by color and that is how I came up with the numbers. I got four different color beans from all the vines. I was able to note the pod colors to match each bean. Identifying flower color was hard because they all vined around each other. Lesson learned for future growouts.

Latest posts