2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 Here's another, Aeron Purple Star, a purple podded runner bean bred by a fellow in Wales. I've been growing them for 3 years now, I was getting a few green pods but not anymore as last year I grew from seed that had been grown in the UK incomplete isolation. Not a green pod in the bunch.
Here's a link to Gwilym's web site with information on this fantastic new purple runner bean http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/aeronpurplestar/
I've sent them to a few people but I've asked them to please follow Gwilym's wishes when sharing his runner bean. I'll put some of these in your package too:).

Annette

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 yes a pole bean:).
DSCN3684.JPG

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@journey11 the seed is quite pretty too, I first received this bean in trade from a Garden Web member in 2011, this was my second year growing it here. It in turn had come from another GW who picked it up on a visit to the SSE. Where they got it from I don't know.
Russ sent me an import permit to make sure the beans I'm sending back won't get confiscated, I'm allowed to send quite a few small packets so, when I return the beans I'm growing for him I'll add a few beans varieties I have he hasn't :). Got to keep these bean addictions fed you know :lol:.
I don't know how many more years I'll be able to do this, old age is creeping up on me but in the meantime not only has this addiction been fun it has provided a lot of good eating.

Annette

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight, Seed Savers Exchange does list Bird Egg #3. Donated to SSE in the early 1980s by Ralph Stevenson of Tekonsha, Michigan (MI ST R) who acquired this variety from John Withee of Lynnfield, MA (Wanigan Associates). SSE Accession # 102073. SSE BEAN 1772.

My collection is more than well fed. I think it's almost obese. However I hardly ever refuse another bean.

Now I'm curious how old you could possibly be? I will turn 71 in December. My bean planted area was over 2,500 square feet this year. Good excercise. Gardening might just be the thing that keeps you alive.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I have a few years on you, I'll be 79 tomorrow. I so agree with you, gardening has always been my passion. My collection of bean varieties is just a drop in the bucket compared to yours tho, I think I'm up to 250 varieties give or take a few:). I don't have a website or blog but I'm trying to keep a record of what I have in a photo album, pictures of the seeds, pods, and growth habit as I grow them. I miss out on some aspects of a particular bean but usually catch that next time I grow them, replacing photo's as I get better ones. I find it very useful for identification purposes.

I did read somewhere Bird Egg #3 was thought to have originally come from the Hungarian region.

Annette

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
For an area of the world where beans were not domesticated (Europe). There are a lot of interesting beans from over there.

Latest posts