2016 Little Easy Bean Network - Gardeners Keeping Heirloom Beans From Extinction

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do have some beans growing, both in guerilla garden style, and in 2 and a half veterans peace garden beds, and in one raised bed where I'm living.

It sure is different when you have to do it the way I am, but if I get even one single seed from each plant, then I'll at least have fresh renewal of seed. Course it should be better than that, but not by too much. The guerilla gardened plants are subject to human plant predation, uncontrolled harvests and such.

Similar to those in the beds at the va and here in the small apartment place i'm at.

I planted very heavily, intensive. Some are 6 inches apart. I don't recommend anyone doing that, but this is a sort of emergency garden plan.

I also got my emergency spare seeds out to 15 more people, some awesome and special gardeners among them.

The first bed I planted at the VA got surprisingly good germination, and they were among the poorest looking seeds. I didn't actually count seeds planted to compare with sprouted seeds, but there are very few gaps. Yes, a good number of the seeds had darkened and lost contrast. Though most of the seeds in the emergency spare mix were from 2014, I've kept my emergency spare stash at least since 2004, Some few oldest seeds from then. I love how Hutterite for example deepens its pale yellow over the years. How Flor de Mayo loses contrast and becomes shades of tan. Even she sprouted, but I helped her shed her seed coat as she was having a hard time of it.

I feel confident that I'll have a crop of some sort this year, that I'll get at least a pod or 3 or 4 from each, or most, of the plants.

I planted half a bed to limas. They have old tomato cages to climb. Cross your fingers especially for the Ganymede and Horn Speckled, all of them!

FaerieGlynne

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'd enjoy being a part of this. I have some space I could till out and use pretty easily. Could you perhaps just send me vatieties that would do well where I am, zone 8b, or whatever ones you need done?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd enjoy being a part of this. I have some space I could till out and use pretty easily. Could you perhaps just send me vatieties that would do well where I am, zone 8b, or whatever ones you need done?

Take a look on the first post in this thread and click on the link there for the network page. He has all kinds of beans on there also needing grown out. Those have good information on them, dtm and growth habit, so you can decide easier what you might like to grow. Have fun! You might be there awhile deciding. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , Sorry I have waited so long. I hung back awhile deciding whether or not to commit myself this year since my dad is dealing with brain cancer. With my parents divorced, most of the responsibility has fallen on me. But he is getting along well and it should be a pretty normal summer now that things have settled down. I just wanted to be sure first that I'd have time to give good attention to the garden. Planted a few things today and things are coming together nicely, so now I am feeling confident. :)

I'll go ahead and adopt the last 3 beans if they're still available. I'll send you a PM since there's a couple others I'd like from the network page.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth , so glad to hear you're back planting some beans :thumbsup.

@Bluejay77 , a picture of some of your #45's in progress, first one planted out a couple of days ago.
DSCN6644.JPG

The rest are still in the greenhouse but the one's with their first pair of leaves are getting planted out today.
DSCN6645.JPG
So far they are looking good, strong and healthy. Each vine will be labeled so I can collect seed from each one, that is until they reach the top of the netting and then it will a tangle of vines if they grow over 8-9 feet.
Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, glad you're back, I've missed you! With your magic touch I think those beans are going to do well for you.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With your magic touch ...

Eleven year old tomato seed needs your magic touch, @marshallsmyth !

It has been 8 days since growth was in evidence in 2 seeds and 3 were moved from the paper to potting soil. I found that one of the sprouts has grown and has a pale green color. It still hasn't lifted its 11 year-old self above the soil surface! Time for some water, then - we'll see ...

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I planted the beans you sent me today. Four Botosani Cyclops, 9 Globula and 8 Duilius, I marked them in the garden with flags. I spaced them several rows apart at different ends of the garden so they won't cross pollinate. I will take pictures of them as they grow and record their growth patterns for you.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Eleven year old tomato seed needs your magic touch, @marshallsmyth !

It has been 8 days since growth was in evidence in 2 seeds and 3 were moved from the paper to potting soil. I found that one of the sprouts has grown and has a pale green color. It still hasn't lifted its 11 year-old self above the soil surface! Time for some water, then - we'll see ...

Steve
The food reserves it had stored could have deteriorated, you can use a sugar solution to help it until it is able to get established.

Latest posts