2017 grapes so far

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We slaughtered 33 roosters last summer and I canned a lot of the meat. Rooster meat is firm and makes good chunks instead of turning to mush like store bought chicken. I have to buy my grapes. Carol those grapes are magnificent.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol, here's an idea for enjoying those grapes.

ROOSTER SALAD

Boil (simmer) one dead rooster, preferably cleaned, all afternoon until meat falls from bone.

Debone the meat, toss bones to dogs that are drooling all over the kitchen floor, watching your every move with intent stare.

Cut the meat into bite size pieces, or for ya'll that barely chew and wolf it down like the dogs do, half bite size pieces.

Chop 2 stalks of celery.

1/2 cup chopped pecans or your favorite nuts.

1/2 pound seedless grapes, cut in half.

A glop or two of mayonaise, just enough to hold it all together.

Chill and serve.
Great minds think alike, I have leftover chicken set out to make this EXACT salad for todays lunch!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH picked all the pink grapes. Looks like weeks before the concords will be ready (and not enough of those to do much with) So We juiced all the pink ones and I have made 2 batches of jelly. Love the color it turned out. It has a slightly tart flavor the concord grape jelly does not have. GOOD.
007.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh that's PRETTY stuff! We haunted the roadsides in early spring, picking cherry sized wild plums and I made jelly. Nothing can beat homemade jelly! I planted grapevines a couple of years ago, they died. Ungrateful things! Your grapes are gorgeous and the jelly makes a beautiful picture!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am making grape jelly in about a week with the 2nd part of my grape harvest. We were going on (2nd) vacation when they came in, so I just packed them in those heavy plastic opaque square freezer containers until I can deal with them. The 2nd harvest is in my fridge bottom drawer, which is partially frozen. DH has to watch salt, so MY jelly won't have any. Is that the beauty of using your own fruit?

Latest posts