1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. What am I? - The Traveling Desk Plant Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Bluejay77, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Apr 22, 2017
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Garden Addicted

Yeah the colors and nuances of shadings and patterns I think must be endless. It's like music. Only so many notes but the number of songs doesn't ever seem to end.

2. Apr 22, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

I love seeing all these beautiful beans. We would have starved as children if it weren't for dried pintos and potatoes from Daddy's garden. I'll be watching this thread.

:caf

3. Apr 22, 2017
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Garden Master

@lcertuche why don't you try to grow a few? Bluejay will send you seeds and you only need to return some renewed seeds in the fall. You can either get some established beans so you know what you will get or you can get some that have not yet stabilized so you can get about anything. If I remember right, you home school, what an opportunity to teach genetics. Plus if something different shows up, you or your kids can name it. Last year I grew 25 beans that genetically had never been grown before. Talk about excitement when you first get dried beans from a plant and open them when you have no idea what the bean will look like.

I probably drove by you yesterday, my wife and I went to Amity to pick up a new-to-her loom. We had 3.2" of rain out of this event, from what I saw you didn't come close. We are now above our annual average for this time of year, a change for a couple of weeks ago.

4. Apr 24, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

I wish they kept their color when cooked, too. Can you imagine the beautiful colors in the bean pot?

5. May 1, 2017
    Eleanor

Eleanor Leafing Out

This is my first year participating in this beany endeavor. Seeds for Allubias de Tolusa (15), Blue Star Gold (5), Chaska Purple (12), Chester (14), Cottontail (12) and Fountain Pitts Allen (12) were dusted with bean inoculate and started in pots today. And so the adventure begins!

6. May 2, 2017
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

Glad you joined in the fun! When I started participating, I had a small garden but I made room for some of Bluejay's beans. Now I have a bigger garden and I enjoy helping keep old bean varieties alive and growing. Eleanor, you will enjoy this!

7. May 2, 2017
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Garden Addicted

Hi Eleanor !

Glad you showed up on the thread. I think I originally called you Eleanor Resident LOL, which you got a kick out of. Anyway it would be fun to see photos of your gardens. I'm expanding my backyard Bean Nursery this year and will post photos of that along with many other photos of my garden plots and beans.

8. May 2, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

I would love to experiment but my luck the deer or rabbit would eat them and I would hate myself. I still am having trouble getting a fence up. I had 3 walls of it pieced together when the storm blowed one down. I would love to find a new pole bean. All I've ever grown was Kentucky Wonder and the pintos (cheap) sold in the grocery store. Our local Mexican store sells a dried bean that look like pintos but they are a little larger seeds and definitely sweeter cook. I probably will plant some of them and see what they are.

baymule and Ridgerunner like this.
  9. May 2, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Is it a blonde color? Could be a peruvian bean. I like those. They take a shorter time to cook.

Mary

10. May 2, 2017
    lcertuche

lcertuche Deeply Rooted

No it looks exactly like pintos just visibly bigger. Like the Schwarzenegger of pintos.