2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I also grew out two other out crosses from my garden last year. This first one is from Maggies Crescent. The first picture is of the beans I discovered last year. The pictures following it are the seven segregates I found this year! Two bush varieties and five pole varieties.

Maggie's Cresent Outcross by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Untitled by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr
These were both bush varieties. One had purple pods when dry and the other had pale greenish yellow pods. The beans are both dark blue with white flecks and faint black banding like Maggies Crescent.

The next are the five pole varieties I discovered.

These are my favorite!

Navy blue with white flecks and black striping/banding

These are similar to the bush varieties.

Short pods with longer beans

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The third out cross I grew was from my Ugandan Bantu last year. Again the first picture is of the out cross I found last year and grew this year. I found 10 segregates this year from my growout. All are pole varieties.

Ugandan Bantu Outcross by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Tricia, I got a giggle out of that one about not knowing the pod. Been there, done that. I'll probably do it again this year too though I'm trying not to.

Russ how many beans do you want from my grow-outs this year? Some of them are not going to be very productive so I won't have much of an option, but many are extremely productive this year. There are a lot that are loaded like this.

RBJ4 Productivity.JPG

When I could I sent 60 seeds of each individual one last year. Are you happy with that number when I can manage it?

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner,

You don't need to send any seeds this year. You didn't get anything from me this year to grow out.

Sounds like you had a mixed year with your varieties. Some did very well and some not so well.

How did your Karachuganak do this year? Did I spell that correctly? I tried that from memory. I had planted seven seeds. Rabbits nibbled on a couple of them and I think I wound up with two plants growing. Hope they produce seed like what you sent me last year. They look more like a semi-runner than a pole bean. very low growing plants here. I still have no dry pods from them yet.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you don't want them fine, but I expect I'll have more "new" beans than I can ever grow out. Since they came from your original crosses I'd be quite happy to send you some of them. I'd planned on sending you some of the "Blue Jay outcrosses" too. Otherwise they will probably be lost. It's still very early days for me this year, I have no idea what I'm going to wind up with. What I'd propose is I send anything new to get it in your system but the ones that don't change I keep. I'll probably grow most of them again to see if I can stabilize them but that depends on what I wind up with. To me the only real difference in me sending you all my seeds and asking for some back versus keeping some to grow out is that I saved you some postage.

That spelling is pretty close from memory, Karachaganak, no "u". I only have two plants and no dried seeds yet. Rabbits and some bad weather during germination hurt my numbers. They are both pole beans, over six feet, and pretty productive but the vines are not hugely vigorous. They are not a lot over six feet. The blooms are the same striking lavender color as last year. I anticipate I'll know dried bean color/pattern in a couple of weeks. I'll post as soon as I do. With yours being semi-runner it sounds like they are still segregating. I agree, I'd love to get some more like last year but with that weird color combination we just might get something special if they do come back different.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Tricia77,

Did your favorite segregate of the Maggie's Cresent outcross grow as a bush or pole bean. Just curious. I can see why that would be a favorite out of all of those. How many more black beans or solid white beans can one get excited about?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Ridgerunner,

When I read your post I had no idea what you had in mind to send me. Your second post on that subject clears that up. Ok if you want to send anything new you have to get them into my system I would be very glad to take them.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great, thank you. I don't know what I'll have this year, it's way too early, but I know I'll have some new ones. Hopefully they are not all black but some will be. Would not want you to get bored.

Latest posts