1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Show us your Tomatoes!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Discussion in 'Fruits & Vegetables' started by Bluejay77, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Sep 6, 2017
    aftermidnight

aftermidnight Garden Addicted

This is prime example why you want to have more than one person growing any given variety.

Annette

thejenx likes this.
  2. Sep 6, 2017
    thejenx

thejenx Attractive To Bees

Not just growing, but also storing the varieties. You'll never know what disaster can happen.

Ridgerunner and aftermidnight like this.
  3. Sep 6, 2017
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Deeply Rooted

The amounts of seed on some of the beans are getting to the point where we do have enough to let more than one person in a season to grow them. This year there are a couple of beans where two people have been growing them. I think we might have lost the varieties Baymule got this year too. The critical ones are the beans that don't have a growout year on them. Those are small samples and when I send them out you almost have to send them all as some of the seeds might not germinate anyway.

Tricia77 and aftermidnight like this.
  4. Sep 11, 2017
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    SOOOO excited. Forgot that I had planted pole beans with the lima beans. Harvested by a 1/5th of the beans growing and had them with dinner last night. SOOOOOO delicious!!!!! SOOOOO tender and flavorful. ME and DD make a good team--I grow stuff and she cooks it. She even took the time to cut them into bite sized pieces. Here are pictures from this weekend:
    Green Beans, 09-08-17.jpg

Attached Files:

Bluejay77 likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2017
    reedy

reedy Chillin' In The Garden

@Bluejay77 , grow out beans and their off types are on their way back to you. Should be arriving in a day or two. I really like the Refugee for green beans and will definitely be growing them again. I'll be looking over the list for some more new ones to grow next year.

Bluejay77 likes this.
  6. Sep 14, 2017
    Bluejay77

Bluejay77 Deeply Rooted

Thank you so much @reedy. Your seed was the first seed return of this season, and it is just such beautiful seed. Have you ever noticed bean weevils in your bean seed where you live? If not I will not have to freeze treat it, but the seed might go into the freezer anyway for some long term storage to keep it viable for many, many years.

7. Sep 15, 2017 at 1:43 AM
    reedy

reedy Chillin' In The Garden

@Bluejay77 , I have never seen weevils, not even sure what they look like but I always freeze treat my seed anyway before storing, just in case. I also try to save seed only from clean pods with as few as possible spots on the dry pods. Some years that just isn't possible but this was a pretty good year. For some varieties I was able to fill pint jars from pretty much perfect pods.

All our canning of green beans is done and seeds saved but I am still harvesting and mostly giving away KY Wonder, Blue Lake, and Little Brown Greasy. One of my favorites is Ohio Pole, it is later. We have canned and eaten some but they are just now coming on real good. Because of it being later I leave 1/2 dozen plants with no harvesting to eat, just seed. They are just starting to dry down good.