2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Staley's Surprise" True bush grows without runners. Australian variety that was bred by Arthur Staley an 1880's to early 1900's seed merchant from East Gippsland, Victoria.

Staley's Surprise #1.jpg

#145 - Staley's Surprise

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Lila Stuart" True bush dry bean. Said to be a selection of a bean called "Lynnfield". Perhaps by a woman named Lila Stuart. This bean also produced an off type this year of a bean that I've seen back in the early 1980's called "Lila's Mottled Soldier" (second photo)

Lila Stuart #1.jpg

#148 - Lila Stuart

Lila Stuart #2.jpg

Lila Stuart Off Type

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner,

Just thought about this semi runner I found in Blue Jay two years ago. I grew some this year. Produces tons of pods for a low growing bean. Has smaller seed than Blue Jay but colored just like BJ. Would you like some of these? The beans do make a good baking bean.

No thanks Russ. I grow Blue Jay as my early bush snap bean, my wife would be upset if I didn't grow her the Blue Lake Pole for my main canning/summer eating bean. She really likes that smell. I used to grow Black Turtle for my dried beans but I don't need to any more. I got over four quarts just from my grow-outs this year and that doesn't count all the Blue Jay and Blue Lake Pole I let go to seed. I haven't finished shelling all my Blue Lake Pole yet but between the two of those I probably have over two more quarts. That's more dried beans than we will eat.

I'd prefer to use the space to grow out these beans instead growing more production beans.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Angel Cattle" True bush dry bean. Acquired this outcross in 2014 from a bean grower in Germany by the name of Professor Jurgen Klapprott after I saw the bean on the Bohnen-Atlas site. The arangement was to grow him some new seed and return it to him. I didn't get nice seed that I was satisfied with to return to him until 2016. This is another bean that filled out the planted row section fairly well this year. The bean still has a variable seed coat.

Angel Cattle #1.jpg

#153 - Angel Cattle

Latest posts