2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew a bean this year called Roughwood Rosie from William Woys Weaver. It has not been released yet by William because he wanted to make sure it was stable. Both our growouts this year showed stability. This bean was found and named by a friend of William's named Rosie. Unfortunately I had low production because of the weather and will have to grow it out again.

Roughwood Rosie by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Roughwood Rosie by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This bean (first photo) is one of the beans that come from the Will Bonsall outcrosses that I grew in 2015 (WB-PKT #5). The last time I grew the seeds in that packet there were two other segregations. I named this bean Galloway. It was one of those beans that threw off a black segregation and one that had a larger eye patch.

Galloway #1.jpg

#13 - Galloway

Galloway #2.jpg

Galloway Segregation

Galloway Black.jpg

Black Galloway Segregation

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
A bean that came from Will Bonsall way back in the early 1980's and named by Will. It's called Owl's head. It's very striking in appearance. Will climb on support to about 3 feet, more of a semi runner. The pods average about 4 inches in length. Previous to this year this bean has thrown off a bunch of segregations. This year I did two seperate plantings and didn't get a single segregation. This is the first time that has happened for me with this bean.

Owl's Head.jpg

#14 - Owl's Head

Owl's Head #7.jpg

Owl's Head Pods

Owl's Head #1.jpg

Owl's Head Pods

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is a another semi runner that will climb. It's a segregation out of Rabbit's foot that I found in 2014 and grew it in 2016. I decided to grow it out again this year. I thought it had a rather interesting look to it. It has an eye figure in white with the rest of the bean being solid black. Most eye figure or eye patch beans are predominately white with a colored figure or eye patch easy to see against it's white background. This one seems to turn the rules upside down. I didn't find any off types in this bean this year so it might already be close to becoming stable.

Rabbits Foot #1-Seg 1.jpg
#15 - Rabbit's Foot segregation

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner,

Would you like some of those Bregenzer beans. I had a great crop can send you some or anyone here that would like to grow them.

No, I plan to get a couple of pole beans pretty distinctive from each other that need to be renewed. I've got an area that is well suited to growing those out but doesn't work when I try to grow beans I'm not sure what the growth habit will be or can't be sure the beans will be distinctive. I'll wait until next spring when you set up 2018 to see what you have to offer that needs to be renewed before I decide which ones.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
This bean is another one of my long ago originals called "Chickasaw". It's genetic sister is one called "Choctaw". These beans came about in 1979 and 1980. "Chickasaw" came from a grow out of "Sulphur" bean (a true bush) that I first obtained from John Withee's Wanigan Associates bean network. "Choctaw" was a segregation of "Chickasaw" the following year in 1980. Both beans are semi runners that will climb if given support, but can be grown on the ground like a bush bean.

Chickasaw #1.jpg
#16 - Chickasaw

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow! so many beautiful beans!

Chickasaw, Hypolita and the pink lima are among my favorites, but it is hard for me to play favorites with beans.

the Hypolita Off Type i have seen similar to that pattern here in my own growings.

it is also interesting to see how many soldier type patterns are showing up. my guess is that a lot of people grow those wax beans (the soldier pattern first seen here is from the Top Notch wax beans i've grown almost every season) and those genes are getting around.

the last of the lima beans were picked a few days ago the day before a hard frost. the last of the scarlet runners i picked off the fence yesterday. bean picking season is mostly over, but i may find a few odd seeds here or there while cleaning up the gardens for winter.

now with the weather being more dark and gloomy and some rainy days i did pick up a better light so i can see while sorting. 1500 lumens vs. 800. :)