2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here are more bean varieties from my 2017 garden.

Juanita Smith
Juanita Smith by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Juanita Smith by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Owl's Head
Owl's Head by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Fagiolo Zampognaro
Fagiolo Zampognaro by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Baracafe
Baracafe by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Brutt e Buon
Brutt e Buon by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Blaue Meerbarbe
Blaue Meerbarbe by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Blaue Meerbarbe by Tricia Rosamilia, on Flickr

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of those are really nice. That last one, Blaue Meerbarbe, certainly looks blue, that would be distinctive. The Juanita Smith has a really interesting pattern. Then those Fagiolo Zampognaro really catch the eye with those colors and pattern.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought Juanita Smith last fall hoping to grow it this year but my garden was put on hold so hopefully next year. I had been looking for this variety for awhile. @Tricia77 how is it as a green/ snap bean?

Another bean given to me from a gal up island from me, I just had a few so grew it for seed. Monaco Musso Niriu, the information that came with it....

A pole bean from Italy, only two farmers still growing it. Needs an 8 ft. trellis, can be used as a green bean, prolific, The gal I got it from harvested 500 seeds from her 10 plants.

So many seeds look alike but here's a picture of this one...
Monaco Musso Niriu.JPG

Annette

Last edited:

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Annette I did not try any of my beans this year, I was growing for seed this year plus low harvest amounts because of the weather.

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
South Flowerbed Grow Outs

This is one of my original beans that's been around for nearly 40 years now. I grow it on pole supports and call it a pole bean. Some say it's more of a half runner. It's called "Illinois Wild Goose" and a photo of it's dry pod.

View attachment 22413 #8 - Illinois Wild Goose

View attachment 22414

Illinois Wild Goose pods

Do beans "de-segregate", for lack of a better term? All the beans (pods and seeds) I got from the Cleopatra growout look EXACTLY like this Illinois Wild Goose. Russ can compare in person when he gets the packet of beans, but I'd swear they're identical.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beans in genereal are capable of many different colors and patterns. Sometimes a cross will produce the same colors and pattern that you have seen in other beans. That does not mean they are the same because they have a look a like somewhere in the world.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As an example I think Tricia’s Khabarovsk from Siberia in post #423 looks exactly like my Jas, which is a segregation from the Will Bonsall outcrosses I grew last year. Pod stripes, bean shape, color, and pattern, even getting some reverses, they look the same. But their ancestry is totally different so they are different beans.

This photo shows what I got this year when I replanted those from last year.

Jas Composite.JPG

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I missed loading some bean photos yesterday 10/30/17. These next photos are my backyard bean nursery of which I have two small garden plots. One 24 x 12 feet and the second one 16 x 12 feet. The backyard is fenced so no bunnies or deer sneaking around. Too busy here in the subdivision for deer anyway.

These 7 photos is the life cycle of a bean garden​
Backyard 6-15-17 #1.jpg

June 15th

Backyard 6-30-17 #2.jpg

June 30th

Backyard 7-26-17 #4.jpg

July 26th

Backyard-9-2-17-#1 .jpg

September 2nd

Backyard South 9-29-17.jpg

September 29th

Backyard #4 10-19-17.jpg

October 19th

IMG_0012[1].JPG

October 31st back to dirt

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
These beans are from the backyard bean nursery.

This first bean is "Atwater". An original bean by Seed Saver Exchange member the late Robert Lobitz of Paynesville, Mn. This bean is named after the twon of Atwater, Mn.

atwater-2017.jpg

#17 - Atwater

This next bean is a new original bean of mine called "Angel Eye" I think it might be stable so I'm going to turn it lose to anyone who wants to grow it. The bean was named by Jaanes Aalders of Gronigen, Netherlands

Angel Eye #1.jpg

#18 - Angel Eye

Latest posts