2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Very beautiful beans. I like your yellow eyes in your first post. The yellow soldier is very neat looking bean. The white end pinto. I have had that pattern and color show up in some of my outcrosses. Your Red White reminds me of Bird Egg #2 which has been traded in Seed Savers Exchange many years ago. Will be fascinating to see how your 2018 grow outs go. I'll be off for a couple of days then reconnect to the internet about Thursday.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Very beautiful beans. I like your yellow eyes in your first post. The yellow soldier is very neat looking bean. The white end pinto. I have had that pattern and color show up in some of my outcrosses. Your Red White reminds me of Bird Egg #2 which has been traded in Seed Savers Exchange many years ago. Will be fascinating to see how your 2018 grow outs go. I'll be off for a couple of days then reconnect to the internet about Thursday.

if you are on the road, safe journeys... :)

my problem with all these beans is that so many are beautiful i hate to plant them because i don't always have many seeds to risk. at least with some pictures i can capture them as they pass me by.

and then i have a few plants that did so well last year even with the difficult conditions i have a healthy stock of seeds to work with going forwards. the lavender and brighter yellow beans are both in good supply.

as another thought, it is so sad that sending seeds via the mail is so crazy when you go across borders (i do understand why) but it sure would be nice if we could send beans to the upside down peoples in the southern hemisphere for them to grow out and get two active bean growing seasons...

as for things here, i now have better light, but my camera is being a challenge and taking dark pictures so i need to see what settings i have to change (guessing white balance, but have to find it...)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today's pictures, two group photos... still haven't figured out the camera and not the best pictures... grr... i'll probably try it again some other time...

Brown and White

p1080003_Brown_White_thm.jpg

Mixed Bag

p1080005_Mixed_Bag_thm.jpg

the beans in the center have a very bright yellow hint to them. the beans in the lower left are red/orange and so very pretty in the sunlight. the lower right are lavender colored when freshly shelled, most of them have faded but for some reason these selected beans kept most of their color, the left are the four light olive colored beans, and the top beans are like a yin yang bean or calypso, but the eye color is dark purple instead of black.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
grr! i'm in a race against time here. the sun is out. i went to get the above beans ready for their pictures as i'm not happy with the last ones at all and want to redo them in the sunlight. and i forgot to unplug the camera from the computer yesterday and thus the battery is drained. can i get the battery charged enough for me to take pictures while the sun is still out?

i'll never get another camera with special sized batteries. always a pain in the butt and turn out more expensive. but, well, the camera was used and worth the price. one tradeoff vs. the other. next camera, lesson learned...

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finding time to photograph them all has been much more work than growing them, imo too! I'd love to have everything neatly cataloged. Photobucket threw a wrench in my gears when they stopped image sharing. Everything I had done so far was stored on there. I have other options, but am discouraged by having to start over.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 i couldn't stand having my pictures online under someone else's control. even if they are crap, they are my crap. :) a few years ago i lost some other pictures and learned from that so now i have them stored on several devices.

clouds have moved in, the battery isn't charged enough. it's rare we get sunshine days like this in the middle of winter. i'll have to do it some other time or try again later with the LED lights.

what i really would like is a much more controlled set up where i can just drop the beans in and the system scans them and gives me the full bean picture of all sides in glorious full color and exquisite detail. :) 3D even... lol

what bothers me the most is that the cheap way i'm trying to do it now results in varying light/color and i'm hoping to change that eventually with a new camera and lights and a color calibration gadget. before i do that i need a new computer because this one is just barely getting by and i'm almost out of space.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I hear ya! I like the color to be as accurate as possible. Best I've been able to do so far is a white foam plate with a black/white sample off the side, set up under a "daylight" florescent light fixture. I use a can of dog food to set my phone camera at the same height each time. Talk about roughing it! :p I'd like to hear any tips the others may have. I'd be up for putting a little money into some proper equipment or setup. I've been thinking about doing some selling on eBay (random stuff) and I know good photos can make it or break it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 what i'll be doing eventually is doing more reading up (at the library and online) to figure out the lighting, color and closeup stuff, but none of that makes any sense until i get a new computer and a better camera. i hope i have 20-30 more years to figure this all out yet. :) no rush...

Latest posts