2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@HmooseK , well I did some asking around to see if anyone had any information on the "Chestnut Colored" bean from Dan McMurray's collection. The gal that runs the Populuxe Seed Bank put me in touch with someone from the Dan McMurray Memorial Seed Bank and this is the reply I got...
"Hello Annette - thanks for your interest. We love hearing from people who are heirloom vegetable growers.
Chestnut Flavoured was in Dan's collection when we received his seeds in 2012. Unfortunately, we didn't grow this out for several reasons, but mainly because we couldn't find any information on it. We no longer have seeds of this variety.
I checked extensively online just now, including the Canadian Seed Library and Seed Savers Exchange, and could not find it. Quite a few of Dan's beans were not identifiable. "

Soooo, it looks like another one is on the way of the Dodo bird. Have you grown it yet, is it any good? If it is maybe give a name and add an a.k.a.
Sorry buddy that's the best I can do on this one.

Annette

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

Annette,

Thank you for your help. This is sad news indeed!

I have not grown it. I have 18 seeds and have no clue of their age. I will do my best to grow, save, and get it into the hands of others.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thought of the day:

You Know, we need to get Las Vegas to replace poker chips with beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@HmooseK we'll need a project to breed some stackable beans...

which reminds me of how i often sorted soybeans from chaff (rolling them down cardboard slant)...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Limas are sort of flat. Maybe those?

i've seen some iris seeds which are pretty close to stackable. we'll need a gene editor setup... lima/iris == limairis which isn't bad as far as names go... :)

and a very long growing season to get decent sized beans.

(i spent way too much time several years ago playing on-line poker... gah! glad i got out of that)

Latest posts